Neon lights for a moped =)

no seriously. im thinking of putting in neon light strips. is a puch maxi 2hp 6 or 12 volt? something along the lines of these...

Re: Neon lights for a moped =)

You might want to think of LEDS and NOT Neons, due to the fact that you do not have a large wattage charging system on the bike. Neons run transformers to bump up the voltage to run the lights. To do this requires AMPS. Volts and Amps make Watts, and you still have to have some to run the regular lights.

LEDs sets use very little volts and amps.

good call.

I have done a lot of stuff with electrical on cars and trucks, especially my own. In one truck I ran so much through the fuse box that if one fuse went, it took out up 7 more. Though you do not have a fuse box on a moped, you do have a very limited power output, thus that is I responded. LEDs are becoming easier to find and use, and in some cases close to the same output as COLD Neon but less power. Also remember on LEDs will take vibrations better than Neon do to the fact that Neons use a filmet that is more fragile when HOT (i.e. when on).

Heres a pic of the LED type.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

3V or 6V source Saab? i have a similar system on my on bike supplied with 3V (unfortunately in series connection) and it works fine

I have a feeling that being made for a car they need a 12v input.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

It depends on how they set it up. LEDs only need from 2.6V to 3.8V at around 80mA to 210mA. If you can find how they wired it and with what components, you could then run it on 6V or 3V (if LEDs will lite on 3V). There are some LEDs light bars setup for motorcycles also. Some of those are set to run on 6V. Others use power setdown supplies to run them. So without looking up the specs on the light bar DO NOT assume what they are running on.

here's an alternative idea. i build lowrider bicycles as well, and if you check out streetlowrider.com, they offer a fairly complete line of rechargeable neons for bicycles. they're two piece kits, can be easily installed and removed, and recharge from a wall outlet. i believe the kit is in the $120 USD neighborhood. so that could be a possibility, the only downside being that neons are somewhat fragile, meaning some kind of dampening / shock absorbing system might not be a bad idea either. i use a rubber mount system so they don't get banged around too much. check 'em out though. they're what i'm putting on my Garelli.

you can get neons sound system and everything on a moped battery i know of expierence because my moped has all of it

1265035503_photo0200.jpg

i had neon on my ped. a 6 inch green stick, it worked for a while, but then blew the transformer, i guess because the voltage wasn't constant.

looked cool, but i think i'm going to try the LED next time...

"Persistence of Vison":http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/

You simply must.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account