Leaky petcock

I have a 1978 JC Penney Swinger 2 and can not get the petcock to stop leaking. Just purchased the modped and it runs like a top. Bad news is the petcock leaks a lot in any position. Removed petcock, cleaned and inspected. No rubber seals just a plastic washer with grooves that are seated by the spring. The first thing I would like to do is replace the petcock. Not comfortable with buying something on-line that looks like it may or may-not work. The petcock base has threads along with the tank and a nut that secures both. Any suggestions?

Re: Leaky petcock

It depends on exactly where the thing is leaking from .. leaking petcocks can be a real pain to fix .. Plumber's tape works great on leaking threads, but without knowing exactly why it's leaking it's hard to suggest a fix, other than replacement...

"Search" this forum for threads about petcock leaks.. gotta be a zillion of them. Worse comes to worse buy one off eBay or wherever. You're kinda lucky one for your bike is available, assuming one is..

Re: Leaky petcock

Found Ike's Bikes referenced in forum and on the web. I purchased an universal petcock from Ike for $18.95. $15 for the petcock and $3.95 priority US mail shipping. He is out of Ohio. Not an exact replacement but it does work without leaks. Th gas line exits to the right and not forward so I have to be carefull where my right foot goes. All is well and back on road with the wind in my face. Thanks for the refernece.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account