carbon in exhaust tube

michael Culbert /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I have a 2003 Tomos Targa. It is experiencing a loss of power, difficulty starting. I've checked the spark plug, air filter, fuel line, air strainer, muffler baffle and brakes. I've tried using SeaFoam in the gas and carburator.

I think one of the problems is in the exhaust tube. I cleaned off the baffle with gas and filed away carbon deposits, and removed and rinsed out the exhaust tube with gas. It ran better for about 20 miles then it has slowed down worse than before. Going around the block without the exhaust tube seems to indicate that is the location of the loss of power. Is there a better way to clean out the carbon? Even without the exhaust tube it has problems excellerating. Could this indicate there is also a problem with the timing and/or piston rings?

I live in a small town where there isn't a dealer or moped repair shop, so I'm trying to do the repairs myself. Can anyone offer some advice? Thank you

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account