motobecane moped

what is the voltage i should be getting out of the wires coming directly out of my magneto on my 1979 mobylette? I am now seeing about 10 - 12 out of the gray wire that goes to the spark plug coil but there si no spark because there is not enough power. All the wires look good and the spark plug ciol is good cause i tried another one and the same thing happened. Is there somthing i am missing here??? I am very stummped and would like to get my ped running before the end of the season!!!

thanks for all the help!!

Kevin

Re: motobecane moped

Check your condensor it may be inside the clutch drum on a motobicane. check for arcing points

_I am now seeing about 10 – 12 out of the gray wire that goes to the spark plug coil but there si no spark because there is not enough power_

Have you removed & inspected the spark plug wire, and cap? The wire should have shiny metal visible on both ends, and the cap should read between 1-5Kohms. The cap threads into the end of the wire, so unscrew it to remove it.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'not enough power'. Can you better explain that? Do you get any lights when you are trying to start it?

the horn works. i havent seen lights but the bulbs may be blown

when i check the power from the spark plug wire there is about 400 volts. I should have over 1000 right??? i have checked over everything and cant seem ti find the problem! Is there somthing stupid i am missing???

thanks for the help!!

kev

You should have more like 10-12,000 volts.. which will destroy most any meter, so don't try measuring it. Also, the voltage is a quick transient, and won't register right anyway.

Like I mention, check the quality of the plug cable connections, and the resistance of the cap. If you find an issue, fix it.

If the bike still isn't getting spark (use a new plug) then I'd suggest you clean the points (they should read under 0.2ohms when closed) and re-try. If there is a spare condenser on hand, try it.

ok....

i dont have a spare condersor. should i try to unplug it and then run??? also i have inspected the wires. They all look fine! Before i was seeing the voltage but now it has gone???

Thanks for the help!

If you had voltage before, then you must have disturbed a bad connection when you were inspecting the parts.. check the adjacent connectors for a bad connection.

It might be the source of all the trouble.. that would be good luck.

thanks for all the help!!

i will check that!

i am guessing it is somthing stupid!!!

Thanks again!

Kevin

They are simple systems, and the coils themselves usually don't go bad. Problems are usually due to bad connections, broken wires, etc.

Of course, points and condensers have the same issues on these bikes as any others.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account