Rust in gas tank

Allen Midwood /

my gas tank is all rusty inside, and it is clogging some of my filters. I have a puch magnum II. Do any of you guys no if There is any cheap way to fix this or would i need to buy a whole new tank? If some of you guys could help me out w/ this it would be very much appreciated. Cause i dont no what the heck to do.

Email me or I have AOL IM. so here they are:

sirwamolot@yahoo.com

Almyster1224

- Almyster ( Allen )

Re: Rust in gas tank

Allen Midwood /

ya. but i think i can use a little mor info than that

here's a more detailed thread...

http://mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/29330/29330/

If you ever get to Boston on that thing look me up.. I have a Magnum too :P

Personally, I think this thread is better...has pictures and all.

http://mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/26756/26756/

I thought I had some more detailed explanation of the process in another thread but I can't locate it for now. Anyway, the kreem will work great if you are methodical and patient. It took me 2 tries to get it right, the second time as you see from the photos, I had to strip the ped down to the frame in order to get it done right.

Jim

Fortunately the ped referenced in this post is a Magnum with a detachable tank.... there are also three seperate drainable holes on the bottom (one on each side of the under-lobes for the line that balances the fuel and the petcock hole) and the filler opening is laarger and dead center which makes it alot easier to get down into with a long handled brush..

It shouldn't be too hard to scrub it out and give it a good flushing hence eliminating the need to Kreem it unless it is rusted so bad it's leaking! :P

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Thanks. I remember reading them now. Jim.

Muriatic acid will work great,I use it all the time as a rust remover.But if you do decide to use it,use extreme caution.This stuff is dangerous if not handled properly.It will burn your skin,it will burn your lungs if you inhale it,and it can cause serious damage to your eyes,including permanent blindness.It can also react violently with rusted metal.I strongly recommend using a face shield and disposable latex gloves.If you are looking for phosphoric acid,that is what most toilet bowl cleaners are.Make sure you rinse ALL the acid out,with a water hose,them immediately fill the tank with gasoline with a lot of oil (any kind of oil,as long as it's clean)mixed with it ,and let it soak overnight.You can then pour it out,but do not rinse out the tank.The coating of oil is what keeps it from rusting.You can store it this way,or go ahead and fill it up with gas and use it.By the way,that is one more good thing about using premix.The oil in the gas helps keep the tank from rusting better than straight gas.Jerry.

_Half an hour later, I drained the coke, drank it (kidding), and flushed again with water._

ROFL too funny!!

I noticed in your profile that you are 14.I would not advise using muriatic acid.Unless you can find an adult that knows how to handle the stuff,find some other way.Being blind is a very high price to pay for a rust free gas tank.Jerry.

Allen Midwood /

Whats your address? I'm trying to get out there before winter to see my uncle jay. He is like the head chef at the Spire hotel and resturant. I dont no if you no were that is but you no. Tell me you address and your email and i'll let you no when i'm comeing out. dude gtg thanx alot your stuff helped. bye. - Almyster

Allen Midwood /

what is muriatic acid. would that be something a science teacher would have in like his lab. or something? Cause if so i could probrably have mine do it.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

It is used for cleaning metal and concrete. Check at Home Depot or Lowes. Jim

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account