Gas leaking out of carb! HELP!

Bruce Radmacher /

OK, I have cleaned out the gas tank, all fuel filters, made sure the float is clean and set properly, used compressed air to blow out all passages the best I could. When the petcock is off, no fuel leakage...obviously. But when I turn it on, fuel leaks out of the air filter side, more like pours out. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and am loosing my patience with this thing! PLease help...

Re: Gas leaking out of carb! HELP!

See Ya Moped Army /

What kind of moped would help?

Bruce Radmacher /

Sorry, i thought it said when I posted...I havent been here for awhile. I have a 1971 Mobylette

Aside from the petcock, a carb has some sort of a fuel shut-off valve which operates much like a toilet tank..

Fuel enters a bowl, fuel level rises, a "float" rises along with it.. At some set point, the float pushes a valve closed, or somehow blocks further fuel flow.

If that valve leaks for any reason, fuel level in the bowl will continue to rise and finally overflow from somewhere... same thing will happen if the float is not able to float and/or move upwards to close the valve.

Bruce Radmacher /

ok well it seems I have a probalem with the float.......I wasnt the one who took the carb apart the first time so I assumed the pointy part of the float, the needle part, went down. is this correct? This sounds like what my problem is, but Im not sure how to fix

See Ya Moped Army /

No, the float needle should point straight up. That's why it's leaking.

Bruce Radmacher /

ah-hah

very good...thanks a bunch

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account