Starting TOMOS from hiberantion

Just bought a 1996 TOMOS Sprint ($250) with 285 miles on the clock. Lady bought it new, rode it very little, put it away (without proper storage precautions it appears) and now I need to make it start. Put in fresh fuel and oil in the hopes it might fire off. Of course it did not. A quick check for ignition spark was positive (lots of fire). So I'm sure fuel/oil gunk from all those years of storage need to be removed before I will get her up and running.

Also when I turned on the petcock I got a fairly good leak of gas on the ground. Seals/gaskets (?) or petcock probably need replacing. Where can I buy TOMOS parts that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

So I am throwing my situation out to ask if anyone can tell me what I need to do to get her running. I'm a total newbie here (first post) and would appreciate any advice. Thanks!!

Harold Williams

Spartanburg, SC USA

Starting TOMOS from hiberantion

Harold -

Start with these two articles from the "Resources" section, and I'm sure there will be some replies from more experienced Tomos owners.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/fredsguide/

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/springprep/

Re: Starting TOMOS from hiberantion

Thanks for the quick reply. Will check them out.

Har

Where was the fuel leaking from? The carb or the petcock?

Check the hosse between the petcock and the carb. These dry out and crack,

In any case you have to fix the leak before you do anything else.

Hello, Have begun checking out my Sprint and know this (1) have lots of fire at the sparkplug and will fire with gas squirted into the plug opening, exhaust was plugged with mud dauber wasp nest (cleaned out); (2) carburetor is gummed up big time (am soaking in carb solution right now); (3) removed the head and cylinder to check condition (appear to be in good shape including piston), but need gaskets for carb to head and cylinder to block and a filtering screen (appears to be made of nylon mesh) for the Del Orto carb.

Where can I find gaskets? What info does a supplier need to know other than the year (1996) and model (Sprint)? Thanks for any help.

Har

Try the dealers listed in the resource section for the gaskets. Ike's Bikes is highly recomended. In addition to replacing the filter screen it is highly recomended to add an in line fule filter. You can get an in line filter at any auto supply store. You can probably get an in line filter kit, or, do what I did, just look through the selection of fule filters and choose one that will hook up with your fule line.

Also, replace the old spark plug, a fresh one will save you a lot of effort looking for problems elsewhere. Even a plug that looks good can be a bit off.

Regarding starting my TOMOS from poor storage conditions, what problem would anyone expect I would have with the delivery of engine lubricating oil? Will the pump and delivery system need cleaning? If the answer is a maybe yes or maybe no, how will I know whether oil is being delivered properly? I don't want to fire off the engine and then learn oil isn't being delivered.

Thanks for help from anyone.

Har

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account