getting a broken piston ring out of an engine?

so turns out that my power issues on the puch were due to the fact that about an inch of one of the piston rings had cracked off. i assume it is in the engine. anyone have any tips of being able to flush or shake it out without cracking the engine apart? i have never done that and it scares me a little. i was thinking of bunjee cording it from the pipes in the roof of my garage and trying to dislodge it somehow.

getting a broken piston ring out of an engine?

What about one of those teloscoping magnets? Who knows what you'll pick up!

Re: getting a broken piston ring out of an engine?

arent piston rings made of aluminum? magnets dont work well on that right?

No,rings are usually iron. What makes you think it didn't go out the exhaust port? It might have even been assembled that way. People break rings all the time. don-ohio (:^)

hmmm the guy i bought it from never mentioned that it might be a lemon. he actually bought it off the ldealership. it only has 500 miles on it. I will consider the magnet idea if i cant get it out.

like don said, it probably shot itself out of the exhaust. what does the sides and top of your piston look like? im not sure but when a ring breaks id think it would stay stuck in the groove of the piston and scratch the cylinder up, shoot out the exhaust or somehow end up on top of the piston, the piston doesnt travel downlow enough in the cylinder for the rings to be anywhere near the open area of the crankcase does it? i wouldnt think so. i probably wouldnt worry too much about it and just get a new ring/s

Get a small magnet at the hardware store. With the cylinder off stick it to the flywheels and rotate the engine s l o w l y and them return the magnet to the opening. If thewre is anything in there it will pick it up. The telescoping magnet tool will work also if the magnet will fit between the crankshaft webs.

If the engine was running like that for a while it has probably gone out the exhaust. Check the edges of the transfer and exhaust ports to see if here is any indication of the piece going out.

I doubt it's in there.are you sure you didn't drop it when you took it apart?I don't see any way that a piece of a broken ring could get out of the groove in the piston.But if you have reason to believe it is still in the engine,and can't get it out any other way,I'd go ahead and dissassemble the engine.It's not really that hard.And even if you find out that its not in there,at least you won't have to worry about it anymore.Something like that would drive me crazy.Oh,wait a minute,I'm already crazy.I ride a moped.Just kidding.Good luck with it.Jerry.

Now you guys got ME paranoid!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account