lighting

hey. i have a mid-eighties ('85 or '86) Garelli. i believe it to be a Monza, but the headlight fairing looks a bit different on mine. anyway, mid-eighties should be a 12v system right? if i wanted a better headlamp, what can i do? the existing light totally sucks, and while it works, it really is dangerous riding at night. i'm also trying to find a bore kit for it, and any input would be appreciated. thanks all

Re: lighting

First step, is to check all of the other lights on the bike, and make sure that they are the exact correct voltage & wattage. Wrong tail lamp could be starving the headlight of voltage, etc.

As far as system voltage, check a service manual for the info.

anyone know where i can find a manual for garelli? i've checked moped warehouse, and been trying 1977 moped, but no luck as of yet. are manuals easily available?

There is one online, at www.mopedriders.org - look in the Moped Repair section.

Enjoy.

problem is, that manual is about 6 years older than i need. nobody can seem to give me a straight answer on what voltage the system is, and i can't seem to find any indication on the bike itself. i was told that either way, i should be able to get away with a 12V bulb, but what wattage? any ideas?

Proper repairs are not about what you can 'get away with'. Just keep hunting for the correct info - you will be much better off in the long run.

Sorry I don't have any details..

Do you have a bulb for the headlight at present? If so do you know the type of bulb it is? Most Mopeds are running any where from 15 W to 40 W for the headlight. (Anything more than that would require a generator/altinator instead of coil pickup off flywheel.) Most are in the 25W to 35W range. That is the best I can do for you until you answer.

so i now know it's a 6V system, but i can't find a wattage rating on the bulb. it's pretty damn old, and hard as hell to read. the bike's electrical system runs off a magneto, if that might help. i was told that i could get away with a 12V bulb, and was looking at some high intensity bulbs, but they're in the 55w range. what can i do?

Old Tractors for lawn and garden use to run on 6V and low wattage. The Magneto could be of various wattage range, i.e. 6W to 75W for your application. A 12V bulb will work to a point. The light output will be less by up to 75% then when used in a 12V. Also current usage on the bulb will be different then when using 12V. This is do to the nature of the filment in the bulb.

See if you can find a 6V bulb at an lawn and garden tractor repair place with a wattage around 20W to 35W and see how your moped handles it at idle and at full throttle. I.E. see how bright it is and how much the other lights dim or brighten when it is on.

This about the best I can do without have the bike/bulbs that you do have in hand and a couple different testers.

killer! thanks man, will definitely give it a shot.

two other dumb questions... (would've posted a new topic, but this site has been being wierd...) what is a plug chop? i've seen it in all these threads, but no specifics as to what it is. second, i have a ram air system designed for my garelli to squeeze out a few extra mph, but at top speeds, it runs way too lean. i have a dellorto 14-12 with a 52 jet; any suggestions as to what to take the jet up to? or is an intake a worthless thing?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account