Tank rust

The only way that I've ever successfully removed rust from inside a gas tank,is to wash it out good first with Castrol Superclean (the purple stuff) to get all traces of gas and oil out of it,rinse it out good with water,then fill it up with muriatic acid,let it set overnight,pour out the acid,and the tank will be nice and clean.rinse out the acid good with water,pour out the water,then immediarely fill the tank with premix to keep it from rusting again.once it gets a good coating of oil on it,it won't rust anymore.Only use Kreem if the tank already has pinhole leaks in it.That stuff is a nightmare if things don't go exactly right.It's not really a do it yourself kind of thing,even though it's advertised as such.Jerry.

Re: Tank rust

Xxxxx Xxxxx /

While the method I described above does work,it is dangerous if you do not know how to handle muriatic acid.I didn't give sufficient thought to that when I recommended using it.It takes special care and handling to use it safely,therefore,if you don't know how to use it safely,DON'T USE IT.Jerry.

Re: Tank rust

thanks for the warning :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account