Inline fuel filter for '77 Express

I am trying to install an in-line fuel filter for my Honda Express, but can not fit it within the given space (fuel shut off valve - carb).

The filter takes whole space without tubes attached, and I bough the smallest filter "advanced auto parts" had. Is there smaller ones available or there is some trick with the tubing?

Thank you.

Re: Inline fuel filter for '77 Express

maybe loop a bunch of fuel line ..

but the real trick would be to repair the original screen filters so you don't need an inline filter.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, there is no original, so looping looks like a way to go, even though I don't like it...

well, i don't like inline filters..

Original fuel system screens trap all but the smallest stuff, which is allowed to get through and is burned.. But a inline paper filter are rated on the micron size which means it immediately begins to clog. There's no way to tell how badly a paper filter is clogged or when it's too clogged.

The size required for a bike is unknown.. although a moped uses little fuel it uses a whole lot more than the lawnmower the filter was made for. Cars have fuel pumps and can force fuel through a filter whereas mopeds depend on gravity alone..

Inlines also create two new potential points for a leak, and can themselves leak.. or maybe melt.. and then there are mounting troubles such as you are experiencing...

I remember taking a close look at a petcock screen.. very fine brass screen material soldered along the seam and into place.. i know the screen material is available at a good hardware store.. i've purchased some of it for other purposes, but never tried to repair a petcock.

Can you post a photo of your tank/carb space? It's pretty tight I know so you'll need to be creative.

Some fuel filters come inline where the in and out are in the same direction. These take up lots of space. Some filters have the in and out almost together, like a narrow "V". Others input from the top and exit at a 90 degree angle out the side at the bottom. I like these. It depends on the angle of the output from your tank and the angle of input to your carb. Getting the right fuel filter in terms of direction as well as diameter of your fuel line will save you from a kinked fuel like, which you don't want. a transparent fuel filter will also tell you how dirty the filter has become and when to change it. As long as your gas tank is above your fuel filter and carb, gas will flow to your carb due to gravity.

Fuel filters are cheap, like $3, so even if you change one every 5,000km it's not going to kill you, and it sure beats taking your carb apart every month for a thorough cleaning. The original fuel filter for your 'ped may not be available or might cost like $75, if they can get it.

My Puch Newport has the same problem... there just isn't enough room for a filter in there..

Most riders here swear that an add-on inline filter is a necessity and it is anathema to suggest otherwise HOWEVER...

I agree with Joe... inline filters suck because since they slow down the fuel flow to the carb.. and that's the reason loops suck too... if there is any point in the loop that is lower than the carb nipple the fuel has to fight gravity to get to the carb...

Puchs have a filter built into the petcock... in fact in the case of the Magnum there are two seperate filters in the petcock... and there is also a filter in the older style Bing carbs under the banjo bolt so three filters is plenty! Unless your tank is incredibly rusty try running without an in-line filter if you have any other filter built into the system.

I had chunks of rust in my tank when I got it and once I cleaned it out and flushed out my tank thoroughly I've run both my peds without in-line filters and I can feel the difference in fuel flow... I just run a short straight piece of clear fuel line from the tank to the carb and I've never had a problem...

Keep in mind also that the design of the carb is such that debris will sink to the bottom of the bowl before it get sucked into a jet.

I'd rather have a strong fuel flow to the carb and take it off to clean it occationally (the only time I REALLY had to do it was when some water got into my tank through the keyhole in my gas cap and made my engine stall when I went over a big bump and it got sloshed up into the jet) than put in a filter that I wasn't sure I needed in there!

Thank you for your response,

There should be a copper screen right above the petcock, inside the tank. When I was taking it apart I did not find it there. And my tank was rusty rusty (after 15 years in storage without the fuel cap on...), so I do need something to stop large particles getting into the carb.

look at it this way .. say you do install the inline filter without a petcock screen.. where's all that tank-rust and crap gonna go? It's gonna clog the inline filter in a heartbeat. Since that filter can't be cleaned you toss it.

The disassemble-clean screen systems the manufacturers put on is the best..

My bike has a somewhat coarse screen above the petcock and a very fine removable/cleanable screen filter on the bottom of the petcock .. and that's it.

Allen Murphy /

I just tape a 1" x 1/4 in neodyium magnet to my fuel line.

Guess where the rust stays?

Occasionally pull off the fuel line from the carb, take off the magnet and flush out the crap. Reassemble, and ride hard!

Al Murphy

WOW!

That's the most intelligent practical tip I've heard around here in ages! LOL

all rust (iron oxides) are not created equal .. common rust, Fe2O3.H20, is non-magnetic where as Fe3O4 as used in magnetic tape storage, etc.. is a black, strongly magnetic stuff.. also occurs naturally as Hematite.

Allen Murphy /

SAY WHAT?

I put a magnet next to plain old, everyday, sorry-ass rust, the common brown shit, and it and the magnet get along just fine!

Al Murphy

get a small sample of what sticks to the magnet .. put it under a microscope.. you'll see shiny little pieces of iron.

Why don't you just clean and seal your tank so you don't have to worry about rust chunks? I used the Kreem kit on my Express, it worked pretty well, except that the acid ate through the wall that seperates the oil and gas, so now I just run premixed.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account