muffler cleaning

Patrick Mattison /

Are there any solvents I coul use to clean a clogged muffler? I don't have acces to a fire

Re: muffler cleaning

i don't think you'd want to get (flamable) solvents into a PA50 muffler ..

It's a closed box and is lined with ceramic batting insulation which will soak up solvent .. and the various tubes are positioned in such a way that some puddles of solvent will remain in the muffler no matter how you try to empty it.. Who knows what'll happen when and if the remaining solvent catches fire.

I don't like the idea of burning carbon out either.

The little baffle tube that's first to get clogged up, is in the very center of the muffler.. Considering the thick metal and ceramic insulation, it will never reach the red heat needed to burn away carbon .. the muffler or header tube would probably melt before the one part (baffle tube) that is carbon clogged will get red hot..

That little baffle tube gets clogged first. Nothing else even has a chance to collect much carbon. And Honda provided a bolt-hole clean-out for that tube.

Patrick Mattison /

yes, but i can't stick a screw driver in the hole, it feel like i hit metal. the only place it feels like it goes in is when i stick it at a 20 DEGREE-ISH ANGLE (the tip going left)

Patrick Mattison /

if i can't burn it, what can i do??

The metal you're hitting is the one baffle plate in the muffler. The (clean) tube's inside diameter is 12mm... a bit less than 1/2 inch.

The little tube is only slightly offset from the bolt hole.

To be sure the entire tube is clean, whatever you stick in there must extend at least 5 inches into the bolt hole.. any less means you hit the baffle plate or are not all the way through the tube.

btw.. i have a muffler here (cut open) where the tube is clogged with carbon so bad theres only a tiny hole through it .. smaller than a matchstick.. maybe 2mm wide.. tube is packed full of carbon.

The rest of the muffler and the other tubes and header are clean.. just a light coating of carbon.

Hot exhaust comes through the header pipe and into the muffler's first chamber, where it expands, cools and slows down.. Then ALL the exhaust must pass through that little tube. That's why this tube gets really dirty and why it's gotta be cleaned.

Patrick Mattison /

what does th exhaust look like from inside? can you post a real pic?

could i just cut open the muffler and scrape thatway?

is that hard?

aw, nevermind i'm just going to get rid of the thing

crappy pic but the best this cam will do..

the muffler is thick metal.. no point in cutting one open.

there's nothing for you to "scrape away" .. just make sure the little tube is reamed out and clear.

1125608292_pa50_mufffler.jpg

Patrick Mattison /

thanks

welcomed ..

i have a PA50II .. some minor engine modifications and gear-ratio tweaks..

Even with that stock muffler the bike goes 36 mph, no problem.. And I think i can get it going faster without resorting to a noisy expansion chamber. It's not a bad muffler.

Douse it with Carb Cleaner... Hit it with a wire-brush... then clean it off with brake cleaner... Let it dry... go ride.

Go nuts.

DannyMoped07

Patrick Mattison /

heh? stick a wire brush (the kind for cleaning pipe) in the hole? is that what you mean? thet's a good idea. i think i'll do that.

Patrick Mattison /

joew, where did you get gear parts?

nope.. couldn't modify the gear box although i tried.. still trying every once in a while..

I ended up making the front variator pulley larger.

Then, with a couple minor (but tricky) modifications to the front variator, allowing it's sides to close further together, a large front pulley is available at top RPM, raising gear ratio.

See THIS thread for details and a pic.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account