1993 JAWA MOPED

I HAVE A 1993 JAWA MOPED. AND THE FASTEST I'VE HAD IT ON FLAT PAVEMENT IS 35 MPH..............BUT THE ACCELERATION IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!! I'VE TRYED EVERYTHING FROM CLEANING THE CARBON BUILD UP OUT OF THE EXHAUST, TO CLEANING THE CARBURATOR OUT. THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS, IT MIGHT BE THE CYLINDER OR PISTON.I JUST GOT THIS MOPED THIS PAST CHRISTMAS.........AND IT WAS MY COUSINS AND HE NEVER TOOK CARE OF IT. SO WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM???

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE REPLIES THANKS, JEFF

Re: 1993 JAWA MOPED

could be a slipping clutch.. dragging brakes.. give it a really good looking over. Got gears or a wet clutch? Check fluid type and level.

since it reaches top speed the engine itself is probably ok.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION....BUT IM NEW TO THESE THINGS........DO U KNO WHERE THE CLUTCH MIGHT BE? BE A LITTLE MORE EXPLANATORY PLEASE.IM A NEWB. AND MY JAWA IS A AUTOMATIC.[JUST INCASE U NEEDED TO KNO]

AND IT TAKES TWO CYCLE ENGINE OIL.

PLEASE REPLIE BACK THANKS, JEFF

AND ALSO WHAT DO U MEAN BY THE CLUTCH SLIPPING? FIRST OFF WHATS A CLUTCH? IM 14 YEARS OLD AND IM JUST WANDERING WHAT TO DO.

THANKS, JEFF

i can't explain what a cluth is without talking about a lot of other things that you also wouldn't know about..

The smart way to go about fixing this bike quickly and easily is to have someone who's a pretty good mechanic look it over.. meanwhile you look over his shoulder..

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

35 mph for a stcok 50cc bike is really good. It just must be geared for top end, and not for torque. If made the engine gear smaller, you woudl gain torque, but lose top end.

Brooklyn

Jeff: Your profile says that you are only 14 years old and as such this is probably your first motoring experience. This is not a bad thing if you learn how to do things properly.

I would suggest that you go to your local library and look up any books on mopeds and moped repair that you can find. This will give you a base of knowledge. Place another posting on this site asking if anyone has an operator's and/or repair manual that you can get a copy of.

Your profile also states that your bike only takes 7 seconds to come up to speed. This is well within the norm. You can change the sprocket ratios around and give you better accelleration but you will lose top speed. Take your pick.

Please do not ride the bike on the public roads if it and you are properly licensed and insured. I am sure your folks would not like to lose their house because you had an accident.

Good riding.

If you have the 2-speed auto it should take off like a rocket. My Jawa is an 87 and has the best acceleration out of all 5 of my mopeds. If you ask me it seems like your first speed is not working and it's just using the 2nd speed. Thats why it will do top speed but has bad acceleration. Malfunctioning 1st speed is your problem. I love my Jawa she is a great bike-----good luck----

bump

Hey Marshall

I agree with your diagnosis... since the bike is achieving a good top end it probably is a first gear issue!

Jeff... check the level of your tranny fluid.. and change if for some fresh stuff... either way it can't hurt!

Mike Monigold /

Try

mopedriders.org

A few years back I scanned and uploaded the repair manual for your moped. I had 2 of the 130 models at the time.

I hope this helps you out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account