Batavus help. It runs about a mile then dies.

I picked up an awesome clean 78 Batavus Regency with 400 miles on it this week.

It's seems to run very well for about a mile then it dies and needs a good nights rest. Then in the morning it'll run again. Any clues about where to start?

Thanks Mike

1125285019_21_1_b.jpg.jpg

Re: Batavus help. It runs about a mile then dies.

The first things to check with a bike that runs for a while and then dies are 1.) A bad condensor (starts to fail as it warms up) or 2.) blocked vent in the fuel cap

Also, check any and all fuel filters on the bike. It could be plugged only letting a very little fuel through at one time. After the float bowl fills up it will start and run but as soon as it is drawn down no more fuel can come down to re-fill it.

hey dude, i had the exact same problem w/ my 78 batavus starflite-it pissed me off so bad. i cleaned all the fuel filters, petcock float, carb intake manifold, muffler everything AND it still didnt work rite-then i took the air filter off the carb (open carb) and it ran great. I ended up taking the air filter cap off so it got more air-now it runs great.

Hell Ya!!!!!

WOW WOW.

Ok sorry, It was the condenser. Thanks so much for your help and suggestions guys.

I just took my first moped for its first 5 mille ride around downtown sac. With gas at $3.00 a gallon here. It couldnt have been better timing.

Thanks

Rafter

I am having the same problem but i don't know very much about the motor and such. Where is the air filter located??

Ok. After one day of running great its broke again. bummer,

This morning I rode it for two blocks and it died. The gas tank was really low so I added some gas and it started pouring outta the carb from what looked like everywhere. Bummer. I'm so bummed. I can get it to run but not idle.

Help?

check the float in the carb and make sure the needle is pointing up, and if it is-then take the float out and set it in a pan of very hot water-if it sinks you need to replace it or buy some sealer for it. if not then put it back in and make sure the air filter/cleaner is clean. after you do this take the whole filter box off and try running your moped-you may not be mixing enuf air with the fuel. if this fails clean your CARB very very good-buy aerosol carb cleaner and proceed to blow everything out with a burst of air from a compressor. - also check your reed valve and hold it up to the light to make sure it is functioning properly (no light peeping thru)

hope this helps-

jake

I checked the float and found it was upsidedown. Thanks for the tips everyone. The ped is running pretty good. I'm hearing a new noise now and I have yet to figure it out. But Im stoked to be rolling again.

Thanks Thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account