Tomos A-35 timing

Turning the stator which direction advances the timing? What are the signs of incorrect timing? I swapped stators (both cdi models) and need info on getting the timing right, is it safe to trial and error it untill I get the best performance?

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Re: Tomos A-35 timing

Not sure... I always mark the old stator plate before taking it offand matching up the new one. So I remember where it goes.

As far as being safe with trial and error... that kind of worries me. :-S

Alan

Leon Swarmer /

not always safe.. if you get it firing far enough off, you can run your engine backwards. not really harmful till you put your tire on the ground..surprise reverse on a moped.

Can you set it with a test light on CDI?

Leon

Saabsonettguy . /

I marked the stator, but it didn't run very well in that position so I turned the stator clockwise, it runs fine now but did I advance or did I retard the timing?

Grey

Grey,

It's based on the direction of engine rotation.

If you turn the stator in the same direction as the engine rotates, you are retarding the timing. Turn it against the normal direction, and you are advancing it.

Saabsonettguy . /

In that case I have the timing slightly more advanced than stock. What would the negative effects be? It seems to run fine.

Grey

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account