Spark plug cleaner?

My PA50 shop manual features a graphic of a air-blasting spark plug cleaner.

I have read that the standard grit in these cleaners will abrade the ceramic surface of spark plugs and that glass beads should be used instead.

Question: Is it worth the investment of about $15...plus the cost of glass beads...in such a device?

I wonder how often a plug may be reconditioned before the ends of the electrodes are rounded off and the plug must be discarded?

In my area, a moped plug costs no more than two bucks. I haven't run a 'ped long enough to amortize the investment in such a cleaner.

Is anyone out there using such a machine? I would be interested in their comments.

Spark plug cleaner?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Many years ago we used a sand blaster but they fell out of use because plugs were cheap. Your moped has one plug and when it dies you pedal. Think about it. Jim.

Re: Spark plug cleaner?

Carb spray works pretty well for me.

Alan

Yeah.Use plumbers cloth to clean the electrodes,gap it properly,and spray it with carb cleaner.Presto.New plug.It doesn't hurt to have a couple of clean plugs around,I always carry one with me.

ive used carb cleaner but as cheap as spark plugs are i just stick in a new one when i feel its time. im a poor person lol.

lol... I understand. So am I, I use an NGK B7HVX Racing Spark Plug which sell for $10 a pop. So I am going to use it untill the electrode is gone... lol

Alan

Don Pflueger /

for only $1.50, why waste your time cleaning a plug that has a worn or pitted electrode?

The concept is to remove carbon deposits and renew the plug <until> such time as the electrodes become pitted or rounded.

It would depend upon how soon such deposits accumulate on a particular bike and how they affect performance.

Emery (Plumber's cloth) abrasive and carb spray seem a good way to go.

I can't imagine why Honda featured that plug blaster in their published shop manual. Perhaps plugs were comparatively expensive thirty years ago.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account