beginner maintainance & repair manual

don't have a moped yet, but am in the market for a beginniner's manual that could introduce me to basic maintainance and repair of small engines. any suggestions?

Re: beginner maintainance & repair manual

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Fred's guide is outdated but it will give you some idea of how easy a basic moped can be maintained. Jim

Leon Swarmer /

There isn't one great book on mopeds. You mostly have to gu by make and model.

You may check MRA for several of those online

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2

Leon

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

Copyright is 1977... Hope you have an old ped.

Alan

is there a handbook that could help bridge the differences between the older models and the newer ones?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

If you are buying a classic pedal moped, the book by Paul Dempsey will suit most of your needs. If you are buying a new moped without pedals, you may have to be brand specific when looking for repair books, if they are available. warning There are many bikes coming from overseas that don't even have an owners manual nor spare parts.If you are buying new, ask the seller if the moped is US DOT approved. If not approved, run don't walk away. Jim.

Hi Sophia,

Just a comment after reading your various posts and mails..

Don't confuse 'new' with 'reliable'. Sure, a new machine will have (probably) less wear and tear than an old bike, but.. the older bikes tend to be better understood, and are likely to have their major bugs already worked out.

If I had the gumption to set off a long tour on a moped, I'd not even think about buying a new bike. I want something that is vetted, something that has made a few miles in its time and as still no worse for it.

Take a look at some of the issues new Tomos owners are having, vis a vie the catalytic converter / baffle in the exhaust.

Remember that bikes produced in the 'classic' era were not beholdant to as many restrictions (like emissions) as are new bikes. The newer stuff requires more comprimise than the machines produced 30 years ago.

Find a clean, low miles Puch maxi/magnum for $350-500, and go with it. Just my two cents. The world is short of neither parts nor knowledge on the old Puch bikes.

Jim Leighton /

I need a repair manual for my Mo Trek by Yardman 1977. The clutch won't release at times stalling the motor and I need to fix it. Thanks JIM.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account