point replacement

odd problem developing last few weeks, when I increase oil/fuel mix to anything more than 40:1 timing gets all messed up and is misadjusted, this happens long before the plug fouls. this has happened twice so far in the past two months and I check the points this time and they 'look' ok but are now refusing to open and close when the magneto is turned so i need to replace them. I don't have a puller so is there any improvised way to replace points or remove the magneto cover without a puller?

Re: point replacement

anyone?

Loosen the big center nut on the cover. You may have to use a strap wrench to hold it , or an impact gun . turn the nut to the end of the shaft . It must be flush with the end to protect the threads. You need a friend to help you with the next step. Lay the bike on its side . Have the friend pick the bike off the ground a few inchec by holding the magneto. This is an old lawn mower trick. While he or she is doing this. Hit the nut and shaft SQUARLY with a large hammer. You may have to use a drift pin placed squarly on the nut and shaft and hit it with a hammer. The weight of the bike helps pull the shaft from the cover. DO NOT try to Pry it off. As you can dammage the cover. GL

If the points "look good" but are not opening, they need adjustment, not replacement. If you can see them through the holes in the rotor, then you can also adjust them.

Sounds like the mounting screw came loose, and the points slipped closed. Set the gap to 0.35mm and that should get things running. Then, check and adjust the timing by varying the gap.

well I checked the points again today and i see the source of the problem. the flex piece that moves the points apart has been bent somehow and I'll definetly need to replace it. also the mounting screw is becoming rounded out

so let me confirm the steps:

1. lay bike on clutch side with magneto exposed

2. have a friend grab magneto by three openings and attempt to lift the bike off the ground ??!!

3. i hammer the threaded shaft squarely while being careful to avoid smashing my friends fingers

i understand that there is something attaching the magneto cover to the shaft, a woodruff-something or other...

how do I reassemble without special tools?

and I replace with the Bosch M-19 point set ?

Leon Swarmer /

Max you are on the right track. But I haven't done this on a ped yet. you might wait for some more answers. I'd use a brass hammer or wood on the crankshaft.

No special tools are needed for re-assembly.

BTW fuel mix has nothing to do with your timng jumping around.

You are describing a woodruff key. It is a piece of metal that slides in a groove in the crankshaft and on the flywheel/magneeto cover. It locks the flywheel to the crankshaft so the timing won't jump.

Leon

Leon Swarmer /

ps note that Legendre has posted the gap in metric.

many of us use the old measurement of .015 inch

Leon

anyone else like to supplement the others' advice

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account