Puch won't start possible wiring problem

Liz Nayadley /

Hello-

It's been awhile since I posted because I usually can do a search and find the answer. My moped was stolen recently and I got it back but, they obviously didn't know how to start a moped and just tore off the starter switch. I have a new switch and I am trying to attach it. The 3 wires on the bike are brown and two black wires. The 3 wire colors on the new starter switch are black and white, black and green and black, white and green. I thought I tried every possible scenario the wires might hook up to each other but, none of them allow the moped to spark. I replaced a broken bulb in the tailight thinking this might prevent spark. Does anyone have any other suggestions? How can i bypass the starter switch all together. I just what it to spark so it will start.

This is a 1978 Puch Maxi. Thanks in advance.

Re: Puch won't start possible wiring problem

starter switch? Do you mean a kill switch (Stop Switch)?

i'm looking at the Puch Service Manual on THIS page..

a few wiring diagrams near the end of it..

I see nothing but the kill switch.. 3 wires, two black and a brown.

Study the wiring diagrams in that manual .. pick the one that is closest to your bike's wiring.

The black Stop Switch wire splices off of the BLUE condenser-ignition coil wires.. When that black wire is grounded (with the Stop switch) it grounds the blue condenser wire and you cannot get a spark.. it kills the engine.

Try disconnecting the black kill switch wire down near the engine. This will bypass all the wiring in the bikes frame, incase there's a problem in that wiring.. and the engine should start.

I can't help further cause i dont have that bike .. but the general idea is to disconnect and isolate the bike's frame wiring.. disconnect it from the coil / points / condenser. It's usually necessary to disconnect only one wire.. in this case the black kill wire..

on the new switch (if it matches the orignal) the 2 black wired would connect to the outer posts and the brown goes to the center......the switch lever may rotate on the center post......that is how my maxi is wired ....i looked at it before replying ..........if that doesn't work make sure the wires are tight on the coil and the plug is clean.....if all of the wires are tight it should fire......puchs are very simple to figure out

Liz Nayadley /

Sorry, I meant the Kill Switch. I tried disconnecting the black wire from the blue wire connected to the condenser and it still wont start. I disconnected them at a plastic thing that splices alot of wires together. The black wire and the blue wire were connected to each other with a screw. I took out the black wire and tightened the screw back down on the blue wire. Did I do this correctly? I looked at that wiring diagram before posting here and still didnt know which wires from the new switch connect to the wires on the bike. Maybe I should also mention that the thief tore up the clutch cable that you need to hold in to start the moped. I had to replace the cable. Even if that isnt working correctly it still should spark if you take the plug out and place on metal and turn over the engine, right? thanks for your help

sounds like you're doing everything right ..

the unknown quantity is what the idiots did to the bike .. yanking on wires or sticking scrwedrivers where they dont belong.. who knows..

i'd resign myself to a very thorough examination of every bit of wiring related to the ignition and it's components .. The trouble may be a simple thing, like that sparkplug wire was twisted and is broken .. Swap suspected parts with known good parts where practical..

i sure don't envy you or what you're going through, but at least you'll eventually come away with much more knowledge about that bike and bikes in general.

Liz take the bike over to Myrons Mopeds Shop in Fullerton Shaun will have it figured out that day if he has the time. thanks Ray

Liz Nayadley /

I would if I was still in LA. I havent updated my profile. I am in Denver now...

Brian Mikami /

Here's Rigids drawing of the horn bypass...it also eliminates the run/start and headlight switch, but i prefer to have the lights hardwired with no stinkin' switch. It works as that's how my Maxi is wired, BUT you will have to hookup a kill switch, a cheap MC kill switch works great. Good luck.

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/5751ec3e9a4feab575962e78e006250d/2359_p46209.jpeg

Liz Nayadley /

I couldnt read the attachment in the previous posting - thanx though. I decided to check the wiring at the tailight. I took it off an sure enough the wires were connecting properly. After reconnecting them i tried starting it but, still no start or spark! Oh, well.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account