starting problems

Steve Mccui /

I have a 1986 derbie variant moped, it has sat in a damp basement for 6 years. It is not starting and I have two questions

1) I put new points and condensor in and cleaned rust off the pick ups on the coils and the magnets on the inside of the flywheel (not sure its called a flywheel) the flywheel had points gap setting stamped in it so I set it to that .040". I get a spark but when comparing it to a puch bike I have the spark is just not as big. It is a new spark plug as well. I sprayed starting fluid in cyl but that didn't work either. I wish I saw a fatter spark.

I also put a meter with the pos lead in the sprrk plug holder and ground to bike, I turned it over with a speed wrench and read a a value of 30VAC. I did the same on my 1980 puch and got a similar value. ShouldI check other areas with my meter, any thoughts.

2) this bike has a belt between the shaft with the peddles and a shaft going into the trans about 8 inches back. on the peddles shaft is some type of elaborate cluthch thing and on the other shaft a spring loaded adj sheave. what is this, the bike is almost impossible to peddle, is this normal.

Thank you in advance, wish i had manual but bike is odd duck

Re: starting problems

could be clutch is holding back engine from starting... If you have fuel, spark and compression she should fire.....

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account