vespa grande peddle problems

So, I recently bought a vespa grande, and I am trying to get it running. I think it will run, but I'm not sure. You see, the only feasible way to turn the engine over, as I can see it, is by peddling it and having the peddle engage the clutch etc. Either that, or hook a drill with a socket big enough to fit on the bolt on the clutch, as i have neither a drill or a big enough bit, I'm stuck with peddling. problem is, and this is my problem, the peddle crankshaft connecting to the peddles wobbles, like the bearings are broken, but it wobbles so badly the chain won't stay on. The front sprocket on the peddle shaft turns out diagonally so much that the chain slips off of the tooths (teeth?) when I try to peddle it, so I can turn it over for long enough for the clutch to engage. To make matters worse, the entire peddle crank shaft assembly is encased in this seemingly welded shut housing. Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

P.s. I also broke the rubber gasline in the process of cleaning to carburetor. Does anyone know what kind of shops would sell gas lines? I'd rather shop locally, so just an idea of the kinds of stores is good. Thanks.

Re: vespa grande peddle problems

Bruce Wilkinson /

Can you push the moped with the decompression lever pulled and when you get the right speed ,drop the lever. A motorcycle shop should have the gas line. bruce

Yes, you may be right, I MAY be able to get it going fast enough to start that way, even though it would require a lot of pushing, but sooner or later, I'm going to have to fix this peddle problem anyway, I don't see that as a really viable way to start it everytime I want to ride it somewhere and back. And, all mopeds I've ever ridden require at least a little peddling (and this one probably quite a bit) to provide the really low end torque. But you're right, it would tell me if it was going to start or not. Yeah, I was thinking a motorcycle shop for the gas line too. Thanks.

A lawnmower shop or hardware store should also have gas lines used in mowers. They would work fine.

Contact Zippy in Ca to see if he has a good used pedal crank assembly for it. He has lots of Vespa parts, new and used.

Bruce Wilkinson /

zippymoped@yahoo.com

A previous rider rode with the pedals in the UP and DOWN positions instead of both pedal arms level with the ground. When they made a turn they hit the ground with one of the pedals and damaged the pedal shaft hole in the subframe.

It can be fixed by removing the chain, left pedal arm and tapping the pedal shaft through the subframe to remove it.

You can have a local welding shop, weld a THIN flat fender washer around the hole to make it round again. Use the pedal shaft as a guide to make sure it fits through the new hole and has enough extension on the right side for the pedal arm to attach properly. See if you can salvage the old hard plastic black bushing that fit in the damaged hole.

Generally it is the right side of the subframe that gets damaged but it could be either side.

See attached pic of Rebecca's Grande she purchased that had the same problem. Ignore the comment about the coil wire in the picture if it doesn't apply to your problem.

I have Grande parts if you need them. Please email me if you need any parts, zippymoped@yahoo.com

1124959058_grande_rs.jpg

Ok, I got the little pin hold the left peddle to the crank but I cant figure out how to remove the pedal, im scared to knock it hard with a hammer, also their is a sleeve that covers the left side of the crank shaft,mabey this needs to be removed? Let me know if anyone can help.

I had a little glitch with my grande a while back where I was required to push start it alot, and it certainly isnt any harder than pedaling as long as your bike is eager to go. If the bike starts reliably, I wouldnt be afraid to take it anywhere without pedals. I had one years ago that was missing the chain on the right, and never put one on, just pushed it. Good luck!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account