'77 Motobecane Carb Issues

philskillz /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Bought a '77 Motebecane 50v in July and have been getting it together. I noticed the carb was leaking fuel everywhere, so I decided to check the float to make sure it was not hung up and installed properly. I checked the float and it was installed pointy side DOWN! I flipped the float and decarbonized everything. Also, upon removal of the carb I noticed there was no gasket between the motor and the carb. Should there be one there? I buttoned everything up and wanted to take a spin. Everything started fine but my performance sucks now. I was doing like 30, now it feels like 10 - 15. I figured I needed to tinker withe fuel / air mixture screw, but when I adjust it nothing happens... AT ALL. All the way in, all the way out it does not stall, and it rides the same speed. This leads me to believe that the adjustment screw was on its last leg. Stripped out or worn out, who knows? Also, I pulled the plug and noticed it was pretty fouled up. I'm not sure if this would affect my mixture problem, but there is some minor leaking around where the float sits. The gasket was in mediocre shape. I really need some suggestions before I go out and buy a new carb. I included a pic of the screw I was talking about...

-phil

1124819096_carb_pic.jpg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account