Props to stoops for figuring this out...

We ride with big jets at altitude and everyone in denver is lacking power but stoops has figured it out put cotton balls in your air filter and the power increases dramaticly. Same effect as putting duct tape over part of it. Try and you will be impressed!

Re: Props to stoops for figuring this out...

Don Pflueger /

all that does is restrict air flow, and sooner or later someone will put them in without a filter. cotton balls are not good to use in an engine. thats why filters are made from foam or paper element. cotton disintegrates. just upjet more. it gives the same effect.

Props to stoops for figuring this out...

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

.Help me understand. At high altitude there is less air pressure so it seems to me you would use smaller jets to maintain proper fuel to air ratio. Am I wrong? Jim

That is correct. At altitude you have to down jet to reduce the fuel flow.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Thanks Silverfox. Worldofpain wrote "We ride with big jets at altitude and everyone in denver is lacking power but stoops has figured it out put cotton balls in your air filter and the power increases dramaticly. Same effect as putting duct tape over part of it. Try and you will be impressed!". I thought this sounded strange. Jim.

Leon Swarmer /

turbocharge them if you run at altitude.. it works for the air Force, why not the MA ;-)

Leon

i'm wondering if adding some alcohol to gasoline will do it .. small gas tank won't require much.

The ideal straight alcohol air:fuel mix ratio is near 7:1 or so .. And straight alcohol requires much bigger mainjets.

Maybe if the right gasohol blend were found it would make up for less available oxygen at altitude (someone would need to do the math )

and since adding alcohol would raise the octane rating, compression ratio might be raised a bit to offset slightly poorer performance with the blend .. but there might be other things to consider like a high alcohol percentage blend reacting with some rubber or metal parts..

maybe adding alcohol is a way to artificially test the effects of running a smaller main jet .. leaning the mix at sea level or wherever you happen to be..

There are two cycle go-karts the run on a gas and alcohol mix, why don't you try to find the ratio and see if it will work in this situation as well?

Yeah, I have no idea why when I added cotton balls that it worked, but it does. It no longer dogs out. Yeah maybe Ill come up with some other option. Maybe paper. I can't tell you why it works, but it did.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account