PA50 sprocket and bearings... huh?

white-city /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I have my 79 PA50 in the shop right now because I couldn't devote the time required to make it run. I believed all it needed was a massive carb cleaning and mebbe some gas tank scrubbing.

The shop called me this evening saying that it needs a sprocket and some bearings that are discontinued and their supplier has no more. These parts are supposedly required to make the bike go.

When I got the bike a month ago, I gave my gearhead dad a copy of the shop manual so he could have a look and talk me through some things (when I thought I had the time for it). I told him what the shop told me and daddy-o says I'm bein scammed.

As far as he knows, the only sprocket that really matters for anything are the ones that control the chain for the ped part of the moped... and a nice, 2 hour trip peddling up to Des Plaines lets me know that those sprockets are peachy flippin keen.

Do any of you cats know what sprockets the shop could be speaking of? And, honestly, are bearings REALLY that flippin hard to find? The shop is offering to MAKE the parts for me - of course, they'd love me to pay for that! I'm already 400 bucks down on a bike that still doesn't run. Should I just scrap it and resign myself to the bus?

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account