Loss of power: 99' Targa LX

I have recently purchased a 1999 Tomos Targa LX(with biturbo) that runs very slow and shifts late, sometimes (usually up a slight slope) not at all. My friends 2001 (stock) is A LOT faster than mine, I was wondering how to make it run right.

Re: Loss of power: 99' Targa LX

Don Pflueger /

check compression and make sure the main jet is at least a #55. your piston may be scored from running too lean if it has the stock #53 jet in it still. compression needs to be 120 lbs or higher.

Sorry, could you e mail or talk on Yahoo;) about an explanation of how to do that? I'm new to engines and repairs, so I wouldn't know how to do that...thanks

Don Pflueger /

to look at your jet size, you need to remove the carbeurator, remove the bowl on the bottom of the carb, look at the numbers stamped on the little brass screw in the bottom center of the carb. to do a compression test, you need a compression guage. the guage fits in to the spark plug hole.

Loss of power: 99' Targa LX

Might also check your exhaust port...

Alan

check for what? i took the exhaust off a few days ago and ran some pressured air through it and it looks horrible...really black=\

Don Pflueger /

the port is in the cylinder. you should be able to look up into it and see the piston. its common for carbon to build up in them and block them. the cleaner they are, the better the engine should run.

My ped is faster than anyone i know who only has a Bi-Turbo. i Go 41-43. And im the only one w/ the stock jet. My piston has not scarred forom it after 2800-2900 miles on the pipe. I recommend using stock jet unless you change the air-filter like i plan on doing.

Don Pflueger /

and how do your plug chops look? maybe your altitude is perfect for your jetting. never tell anyone to keep stock jetting. anytime you add something (such as a bi-turbo) that increases air flow thru an engine you must also increase fuel flow on a proportionate level. if your cylinder has not scored, i'm willing to bet its not round. its running lean and there has to be excessive wear. my 2000 lx brought the speedo needle almost back to 0 with a bi-turbo and 56 jet on a flat out run down a divided highway at ikes ride.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account