Need help: my tomos won't start up correctly.

Ok i 've been working on my golden bullet for a while and i also put in a new carb. So the situation is i put on a 60 jet and a homemade performance filter (two inches of plastic from a shampoo bottle with a 100% cotton cloth on the other side with 2 stroke oil on it. i am not running a prefromance exhaust either.

Ok when i tired to start her she started up (no unusual sounds) then i tired to rev her up but she would not rev or move any where. SHE was also SMOKING ALOT. so i shut her off.

Then i tired to start her again but this she wouldn't start up completey. She idle for a sec and shut off.

What could be the matter?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Re: Need help: my tomos won't start up correctly.

Don Pflueger /

pull the carb off, reinstall a #53 jet, throw away that cotton ball shampoo bottle garbage, put the stock filter back on, make sure to get all the cotton out of the engine that was sucked up.

Thanks don i'll try that

Ok don, i tired that but she started up (but not to full power and would not rev) and yes the throttle is working. Then she died seconds latter. I also noticed that it stayed on choke the whole time. Is it supposed to pop up when started? I also noticed excessive smoking. It also seem to have a good spark.

Thank you for your help so far!

Don Pflueger /

the choke opens up when you go to full throttle.

http://www.1-2-free-forums.com/mf/mopedonly-about11.html

Thanks for the help.

Ok i started her up but she was running very slow 20-25 (she was faster before). The choke did pop up. Then she started shutting off by herself. I started her a first times and drove 20-40 feet and broke down again! Then she would'nt start at all. Then when peddling back home i rode her down a very steep and and she started up for a few seconds and died!

Now I have no idea what could be wrong.

Don Pflueger /

do a compression test. you want to see 120 lbs or higher. make sure the carb is spotless along with the petcock and that there is a good constant fuel flow. also check the exhaust to make sure its clean and clear. if all these things check out ok and everything (intake manifold, cylinder head bolts, exhaust bolts) is tight, then it should run. while you have the exhaust off, roll the engine over by hand and look up thru the exhaust port at the piston sidewall. if it is scored or has smear marks, the top end needs to be rebuilt.

oh, make sure your oil lines are hooked up and oil is flowing. especially the line that hooks up to the intake.

Thank you very much for your help so far don. i rode it today for about ten miles and no major problems. But the engine did shudder sometimes and squeal. I adjusted the idle, then it shuddered and squealed less. I had a feeling my oil pump wasn't working so i put some oil into the tank and then the squealing went down.

Going up hills my speed was between 12-17 and down hill at 34 max this is normal right?

I also did a plug chop which was tan

Don Pflueger /

depends on the size of the hill. i would pull the exhaust off and look up thru the exhaust port and roll the engine over slowly by hand so that you could see the piston sidewall. and score marks or smears are a good inndication that it ran too lean or unlubricated.

Its slightly smeared, could I just get a kit instead of another stock one? I have a 12mm A3-n so an airsal should bolt up. Would I also need a new top end.?

Thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account