Anyone ever install a new tire that wasnt round???

steve meyers /

I bought a 17 x 2.25 tire for my Indian a month back and installed it today. The tire is not round. Infact, its has a low point and high point. I micrometered the aluminum rim while on the moped and its perfect - so its not the rim. I released the air and tried to readjust the tube and tire onto the rim. That didnt help.

Have anyone of you ever purchased a SHITTY tire that was not round??? If so what was the brand??

Re: Anyone ever install a new tire that wasnt roun

I wouldn't think that the tire is out of round. It is probably just not sitting correctly in the rim. Look at the tire to see if there are any casting lines in the tire and see if the line is equally distant from the rim all the way around.

I installed a new michelin like that last month... what a pain.. I rode it over the bumpiest road I could find and it didn't seat lol..

I finally gave the spots on the bead that wouldn't sit into the rim right (there were two) a tiny shot of WD40 and it worked it's way in and seated itself after a bit of riding...

I've only experienced the same problems as silverfox and fratbone... the tire's bead just wouldn't seat properly. The only real difference I've noticed between cheap and expensive tires with regards to quality control is that the cheap tires can be way more out of balance than better quality tires.

I would recommend that you go to a m/c shop and buy some of that tire mounting slime they sell. Then deflate the tire and break the bead all the way around. Slime it up all the way around on both sides then re-inflate to the max pressure shown on the tire. It should then self-center.

Jason Luther /

check the area around the stem. i always have problems with the thicker innertube around the stem getting 'hung up'.

I use a bit of soapy water on the bead when installing tires.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Jason Luther /

and for chen-shinn tires. people say bad things, but i have used them for several peds and have put almost 2,000 miles on one for my puch and it shows almost no wear. even on michingan roads. cant beat it for $17

steve meyers /

I have never had this problem ever on any scooter...

dang chinese shit tires... I am never buying another tire made by Werm hung lo again..

Jason Luther /

im telling ya. check around the valve stem

Don Pflueger /

must be a cheng shin.

Don Pflueger /

ive got piles of cheng shin tires and tubes that are not round, the rib is a larger diameter on one side, over allshape is distorted, tubes have thin spots that bloat. i cant stand their crap.

Fratbone, if you don't mind me asking where did you get the Michelins from? and how much do they cost?

Jonathan

steve meyers /

yea... CHEAP SHIT ... thats the name. LOL

Clint Allison /

Steve,

I experienced the same problem last winter when spooning a set of michilen road pilots on my Triumph. The back tire went on perfect but , the front was out of round. I sent the tire back and they sent me a new one. I put it on and had the same problem. I talked to a local bike shop owner and he said to spray silicone around the entire bead and inflate it to 90psi. I am in no way saying that a moped tire is meant to hold this kind of pressure...It may blow up and kill you, blow your eardrums out , what have you.

Another thing to try is to inflate your tire to max pressure and bounce it around the entire tire a few times. Deflate the tire to just enough pressure to keep it up and bounce it again, repeat this cycle a few times. I would try this first.

Dumb question but, does your tire have bead locks?

There is a small molded line on the tire that runs just outside the circumference of the bead. Is this line the same distance away from your rim the entire way around the tire. If it is, you have a tire problem. If it is even a millimeter or two off, you have a seating problem.

I guess you cleaned your rim properly when you took the old tire off?

Are there any scuffs on the inside of the bead seating surface on the rim? You used rim protectors right??? Don't worry if you made this mistake...I have. Sand down any scuffs on the rim. They can keep the tire from seating the way it should.

Thats about all I can think of right now. Hope this helped.

Clint

Don Pflueger /

i knew it. every bike i get in my shop with them on it, i pull them off and replace them with kenda or sava.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account