**PUCH** engine trouble

Sooo, I picked up this nice looking 1977 Puch Newport. It's in really good condition on the cover, try to check the engine compression.... Yea, apparently the cylinder is siezed, all the carbon build up and whatnot. Does anybody have any tips if they've done this before, or knows how to do this? Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Re: **PUCH** engine trouble

Well we got the piston out and cleaned out the carbon build up and whatnot, but the thing is, we put the heads back on and tried to check for compression, but the piston just gets stuck again, does anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

Jason Luther /

how does the piston keep getting stuck? is the starting clutch (controlled by the lever on the handbars) just not grabbing enough, or is something jamming it? spend the 5 minutes and take the motor apart again and make sure there isnt any debris in the crankcase that is getting stuck in the cylinder ports or something. what is the condition of the cylinder walls and piston?

I've taken it apart and checked it over, i made sure to clean all debris, the cylinder sees perfectly fine, and the piston head also seems fine with no scratches or dings, it'll go in a little and just not go any farther- would a speed kit replace the heads and piston to make it work? i really don't want to go to that level, but i just have no idea what to do at the moment.

Jason Luther /

then the bearings in the engine could be bad. can you turn the engine over by hand? by turning the magneto flywheel?

yes i can, that's what i was tryin to see if that was the problema little bit ago, i left the head on loose without it bolted and manually turned the flywheel, and the piston starts in and then pushes the head off, my friend said the previous owner may have not used oil in it and it could have warped the piston head or the cylinder, i'm not sure if that's what could have happen or if it can be fixed

Jason Luther /

okay, so if you can get full rotation, and it lifts the unbolted cylinder off, then i would say you have to problem. i hope you are using 2 stroke oil (just slathered in there a little) to keep things slick. bolt everything together and see what happens. if someone ran without oil i think it would seize and die before it got warped. but who knows. sounds like youre going to be okay.

I hope it's going to be ok, my friend said to check if the piston rings were popping out and getting caught on the ports, I will check that in the morning, and hopefully I can actually make a full pedal instead of it stopping and jamming, and i'll make sure it's nice and lubed up. thanks for the help! I'll let you know what happens in the morning.

The Piston rings should line up with the notches on the piston, and the piston's notches should point towards the exhaust. If the piston is put in upside down it can cause problems. Also you might want to think about putting in new rings, depending on how warn the old ones are. Like amory said use some 2 stroke to keep things slick.

hope this helps

-backwards

WOO, rubber mallets work wonders, got compression, now i'm gonna check and clean the carb and check the spark. Thanks for everyone's help!

**PUCH** carb work

Well, the engine is doin fine, awsome spark (my friend found out after being shocked), but now I'm working on the carb, and blew into the fuel intake to the carb, and no air went through, i took of the little piece and cleaned it out and blew directly on the carb (fuel intake port) and no air went through, and I don't know if I have to mess with the float or whatnot..I'm still new to this! Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Re: **PUCH** carb work

My theory on the stuck motor before was that the needle bearing that holds the piston to the rod was seized. This would have prevented the piston from rotating on the rod, and therefore it could not travel the complete lengh of the cylinder. Once it was unstuck, the piston could rotate to be at the correct angle all the way through.

Just a crazy theory

Re: **PUCH** carb work

Jason Luther /

if the float bowl is full of gas, and in turn stopping the fuel flow as it should, you wont be able to blow into the carb. just take it apart, its real easy

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account