Vespa Grande confusion

Hello,

So, I just bought a '80 vespa grande, and have absolutely no idea how it works. I have a batavus, and it's pretty simple, pull the starter cable and peddle it over. Does anyone know how I'm supposed to, theoretically, start this thing? It has no starter cable, and it has two transmission things, one in the front and one on the rear hub, and I have no idea how they work. I mean, I have a good idea of how the one on my bat works, but this is just weird. Italians are crazy, I guess. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Vespa Grande confusion

try peddling very very fast or just go down a big hill. once you start moving fast enough it may start to turn over.

i hate mopeds this way because it is so hard to make adjustments! another way to start it would be to take an electric drill and turn over the flywheel with a socket and an attachment that you can plug into the drill. (this can be found at sears)

good luck! hope this helps!

Kev

Bruce Wilkinson /

There should be a decompression lever on the left handlegrip. Pull it in, That opens a valve on to head to let the compressed air/gas escape to make it easier to peddle. Peddle the bike and when you get going 5 kph let go of the lever.It should start. There's a choke lever on the carb to start when it's cold. As you turn the throttle it pops the choke off automatically.There is also a button and small lever on the rear wheel hub to connect and didconnect the pulley drive to turn it into a bicycle.Mixture is 50 to 1. There is a gas valve under the seat to let the air escape as you fill the gas tank, which is the tube frame.bruce

Bruce Wilkinson /

P.S. Some Grande had an oil injection system so you don't have to premix the gas/oil. If it has a separate oil tank under the seat ,put 2 stroke oil in that tank. bruce

Check to make sure the switch is in the "run" position. It should be a rocker switch on the right handelbar. Also, you may need a little key. Does the bike have the speedometer in the headlight or suspended above it? If it is in the headlight assembly you will have a little hole or keyway above it. This key is needed to be inserted and turned to the right.

The engine is turned over by the rotation of the rear wheel, either by rolling the bike, or by pedaling the bike on the kickstand with the wheel suspended in the air. Holding the decompression valve switch opens the valve and releases pressure in the cylinder and makes it easier to pedal. You must release that handle, however, to restore compression and get the engine to fire.

So, wait, I guess that makes sense, but wouldn't the front clutch thing have to turn when you peddle? How else would the decompressed engine turn over? Because, the front clutch on mine doesn't turn when I peddle. Also, would the HT coil on this vespa work as a replacement for the bosch HT coil on my bat? Don't all HT coils function the same? Because my bat needs a new HT coil, and this vespa is junk. Thanks.

Bruce Wilkinson /

Did you 'click' the small lever on the rear hub to engage the drive belt ? Do you feel it hard to peddle or is there no resistance ? Could be a clog in the rear hub is not catching or broken off. Don't know whether the HT coil is the same as the one on your Batavus but I do know that the HT coil on a Grande is really buried under the engine and hard to get at. bruce

Bruce Wilkinson /

The belt might be loose. If the variator is rusted it could be stuck open and not have tention on the belt. bruce

The clutch is in the rear belt pulley assembly. Your engine is not turning over until the front pulley is rotating. If you're pedaling hard and the front isn't turning over, you either need to engage the drive like Bruce said, or your belt is loose and not grabbing the front pulley enough, or your clutch isn't catching for some reason in the rear.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account