78 honda express starter pedal return

Hi,

I have recently obtained a 1978 Honda Express with winding starting system. The winding starter did not move, so I assumed that it had broken spring, so first thing I did, was taking a L-cover off… Well the spring was winded up, it released very loudly. The piston was "frozen" (15 years in storage), and that was the reason it did not turn. I got some wd40 in cylinder, released the piston, made new gasket for L-case, and put it together. It even started up (still working on adjustments to tune it up…)

Now the question: Does the starting pedal should return to its top position when pressed down to wind? I have to do it ~ 3 times to wind it completely, and it is a pain (while I am adjusting the carb) to move the pedal back up each time I press it down.

Thank you very much in advance.

Roman.

Re: 78 honda express starter pedal return

Jonas Quimby /

It is supposed to return, yes. I beleave there is a return spring specificly for this, and it is very difficult to put it back in correctly when putting the cover back on. I did it myself, but mostly through a half an hour of trying, not any specific trick.

Jax184, thank you very much for your response.

That is very strange, I am the first who opened the L-cover ever, and I did not touch the starting ratchet, stopper, nor the return spring (the only suspicion is that it released violently when I took it off). The manual tells that a punch mark on the sprocket should be aligned with the tip of the starter arm (attached pic), but I don't see the point of that... ? Do you wind the spring before you put the cover on? When you say you are "trying", what exactly you do you do?

Thank you again,

Roman.

Forgot to attach the picture...

1124562611_hexpresssm1304.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account