puch carb questions! 15mph moped

Ramsey Beyer /

hi. i have a 1977 puch maxi that, after having been taken to the moped shop here in kalamazoo and was thoroughly checked over, still only gets a top speed of 15mph. they didnt really know what was wrong with it after all the work they did too it. it wasnt even running before i had brought it to them. after looking into performance parts i was told a bullet exhaust and a bigger carb would help me go faster at least. so i bought a bullet exhaust and asked questions about it in the performance section and they told me about upjetting.

soo i checked out the numbers on my carb. i was under the impression that i had a plain ol 1977 puch maxi 1HP.

the carb is a 1/12/307, according to the article, the carb for a puch maxi luxe 2HP.

i know the guy who owned the bike before me never had it running, but knew the original carb was bad so he bought a new one. he gave me parts of the original carb when he sold me the bike and it says its a 1/12/292. the carb for a 1HP puch maxi (which is what i thought the bike was) is a 1/12/294. could a 294 and 292 be interchangable? is it possible the guy bought the wrong type of bing carb for this moped (a 1/12/307 instead of a 1/12/294) and thats why its running slow?

that would definitely make the jet size bigger at least and in the performance section they said having a much too large or too small main jet would make it run poorly.

is there anyway of knowing just exactly what bike i have so i know what bing carb number i should have? i have the serial number if that helps. is there a serial number directory anywhere? i know its a one speed and i know its a 1977 puch maxi.

thanks for any help you all can give me!

Re: puch carb questions! 15mph moped

Ben Van Zoest /

hey, were do you live Baltimore or Kalamazoo?

See Ya Moped Army /

The 294 carb was used on the 1hp, 17mph Maxi. The 292 was used on the 1hp Maxi. The 294 carb used a #52 jet, and the 292 carb used a #54 jet.

Ramsey Beyer /

hey. im home for the summer in kalamazoo but i go to school in baltimore in the school year. (with the exception of this semester when i'll be in france).

why?

Ramsey Beyer /

so my bike might be the 1hp 17mph maxi? does that mean that it going 15mph might actually be normal?

and also, is it bad to have another size carb on there? it has a 307 on it right now and the jet is a #58. i was thinking it having the wrong number carb might be the reason it was going slow (the 307 instead of the original 294). thank you!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account