slow n smokey..help!

Harry Barfield /

my 72 maxi is fine when i first start it up but as the engine warms up (quite quickly!) its performance decreases. the top speed is still the same (around the 30 mark) but accelaration is very slow. it is also smoky. note the performance change has not been over night! ive rode it most days since february and it has always done it! it sometimes makes poping noises but i have put that down to the loose baffle (the retaining nut fell out and i havent bothered to replace it) as when it is in correctly it does not seem to 'pop'. im mixing the petrol at 25:1 with silkolene 2 stroke oil

Re: slow n smokey..help!

give it a general tuneup.. use Fred's Guide as a.. err. a guide. Since top speed is still available the engine and everything must be in pretty good shape generally.

It sounds like maybe your timing is off a bit .. and an exhaust leak can hurt acceleration... you've probably waited long enough and need to get down and re-tighetning bolts and nuts, adjust and clean up some stuff... get a new spark plug.

If it always smokes try cutting back on oil a bit.. If i run my bike at 25:1 it will always smoke.. but at 32:1 it doesn't.. and yet when the engine is disassembled there's a nice oil coating on everything.

Harry Barfield /

it starts extremly easily tho (30 cm bump)

so cud it still be the timing

it could be anything .. that's why i suggested a general tuneup.

Exact ignition timing is not so important when starting .. a 2-stroke can cough and sputter and misfire at low rpm even when everything is perfect.. but timing makes a big difference when it comes to acceleration and power output.

Harry Barfield /

thanks ill try it n hope to god it works so im not out accelerated by another ride on lawn mower!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account