Garelli refuses to rev.

I've been having trouble lately with my garelli sport performing very poorly. Sometimes it runs fine, other times it'll stall and sputter, and refuse to rev up.

I already checked the fuel line - fuel flows fine. I opened up the carb, no dirt in the bowl, float needle isn't stuck or sticking, and the main jet is not clogged. Since the problem come and goes, I'm pretty sure it's not a clogged exhaust (and I had it off less than 100 miles ago, and cleaned it, so there's no way it could already be clogged).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Garelli refuses to rev.

Leon Swarmer /

Have you checked the vent in the gas cap??

have you changed the sparkplug&

Okay new sparkplug. Here's what weird, if you lift the rear wheel off the ground, and rev, it'll rev up without any hesitation, but if you try to rev it up, while you're riding it, it just sputters along with no power at all. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE! it's annoying the hell out of me!

try cleaning the pipe

it runs ok sometimes and revs ok.. engine seems ok ..

check the power train .. slipping clutch due to oil type or oil level.. maybe the rear brake is dragging..

Derek Zipprich /

i have that problem with my sachs for me its just cuss it needs to warm up try using your choke or just slowly easin on the gas till its warm and wont bog down

Put a new plug in, run the bike, if it still runs like crap, read the plug, if the poreclin is really dark then the engine is running too rich. If the poreclin is white its too lean. If the engine mixture goes to far either way it'll cause symptoms like you are explaining. Ideal plug reading is chocolatly colored poreclin.

Jonathan

The old plug I pulled out was the perfect shade of dark tan. I just put a new plug - slightly warmer this time, since the engine seemed to sputter the most after going down long hills, but then again, it seems to run best right after start up, so I'm totally confused about why it's acting like this.

now it sounds more like carburation .. but you started off saying "I already checked the fuel line – fuel flows fine."

How did you determine that?

Nice to talk to you again...I think it is either your front brake dragging or it could be the altitude that we are living in. I think our jets are too big/small for our thin air. I have the same problem and the carb is spotless, clean, working fuel lines and my brakes are fine.

I removed the fuel line from the carb, and opened the petcock. Flow was fine. I also checked the screen that is IN the carb, but it was not clogged either.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account