PA50 belt tension

Is there any information regarding the tension of the drive belt? I had to remove the rear wheel and am not sure how tight to make the belt.

How high up the variator pulley should the belt be when the moped shifts to 2nd gear?

Thanks

Jon

Re: PA50 belt tension

there is no 2nd gear

there is an infinite numbers of gear ratios because as the belt climbs on the front variator, the belt goes down in the rear one

g.b.

mount the wheel and pull it backward so the belt is about 2mm inside the outside edge of the rear variator unit pulley.. just a little bit inside the outer edge.. Make sure the wheel is straight and tighten the bolts.

as g.b. said, the gear ratio is an infinite range. At top engine rpm, highest "gear", the front variator unit closes enough so the belt rides around 8mm from it's outer egde.

Thanks to both of you. Now I have some information so the tension is correct. Thanks to this forum, my PA50 went from stalling all the time to running great!

Thanks

thats great.. same thing happened to me after I started hanging aound in here.

That info on belt-tension is in the 1983 PA50 Shop Manual on THIS page .. grab it (and the Owner's Manual) if you havent already. The manual is specific to '83 bikes with a battery, but 95% of the mechanical info applies to all the PA50's.

the 81s had a battery to i found this manual most interesting and very informative

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account