very smokey!

Ramsey Beyer /

hi. this might be a very basic question but im a new moped user.

today i put new gas and oil into my 1977 puch maxi and it took a little while to start up. when it did it was running about 5mph slower than it normally does and after about 10 minutes of riding it started to get really smokey and smelly like oil. the only difference i could think of from when i was riding yesterday, when it was working fine, was that i put new gas and oil in. would it get all smokey and smelly if i put too little or too much oil in to my gas? i assume that it would. if so, what do i do to fix it? haha.

also, yesterday my moped sounded like it was misfiring for some reason. at least i think thats what its called, it made little popping noises occasionally and it would even make it shut off sometimes. once again, i tried to think of the only diifference that occured on that ride and all i could think of was that it was raining and its the first time i've ridden it in the rain. ive heard before of mopeds running poorly in different types of weather. could that be the reason? if not, why else would my moped make little popping noises and shut off. it would start up again fine, and then pop fine minutes later and shut off, and finally after i let it run at a low speed for about 10 minutes it worked fine again.

thank you!

Re: very smokey!

Ramsey,

It sounds like you might have too much oil in there. That would foul the spark plug and make it harder to start. I'd recommend that you add a little bit more gas to your tank. Not too much, say maybe a cup or two. Then replace the spark plug with a new one.

Shake the frame around so that it mixes well. Carry a container of oil with you. Take the moped for a spin. If it soft siezes, then you should add a little bit more oil to make up for it.

Weather can make a difference if your carb is exposed, or if you don't have an airbox. Usually when it's really humid outside.

Also, did you use 2-stroke oil? Some people will tell you that it's overpriced, but I usually use Yamalube. It produces less smoke and smells a little bit better.

EK

ramsey,

Or if you want to be on the safe side, you can drain your gas tank and put in a proper 50:1 mixture.

I do this by putting 50 units of gas in a container, mark it where the 50 units has reached. Then, put in 1 unit of oil.

In other words, you can put in 50 (1/8 cups of water in a gas tank, 50 times.) Then mark it there. Put 1 (1/8 cup) of water in a soda bottle and mark it.

Then, empty both out and let them dry. Put in gas up to that mark in the gas tank, and fill up the soda bottle up to that mark and put it in the gas tank and mix it. Easy to do. And keep both containers for future use. If you wanted a smaller amount of mix, you can put in 1/2 gas in 1/2 of the tank within the marked area and 1/2 of the soda bottle. If you want more, double it. :o)

Hope that helps. Yamalube is the best in my opinion.

EK

Ramsey Beyer /

hi EK, thanks so much for your response. the weird thing is, i tried to put in a little less oil than the 50:1 mixture because i remember before that my moped usually runs a little rich and i was fouling spark plugs. back then when i asked, someone said they usually use a little less than the 50:1 mixture for their puch maxi because it does the same thing.

when you say less, did you put in a 40:1 ratio, or something like 60:1?

I believe your problem might be a blown crank seal. It might be sucking trans fluid into the cylinder and causing the smoke and misfire.

Ramsey Beyer /

hmm well the smokiness has stopped andn so has the misfiring! i filled up the tank with new gas and oil the night before i actually ran it and my friend suggested maybe the oil had time to settle so it was burning a lot of oil right at first. is that plausible? it seems to be running fine now, just needed to be mixed in maybe or get used to the new gas/oil. i have no idea what im talking about... haha =0) it smelled like oil burning and the smoke was a blue-ish grey if that helps. i think it makes sense for it to be the oil since i had just put new gas/oil in the day before it happened.

Ramsey Beyer /

im not sure whaat the ratio would be but i read once or twice that 50:1 is 3mm of oil per gallon of gas. is that correct? so i put in about 2.3mm of oil. another friend of mine with a puch that runs rich said thats how much she puts in and it works well and prevents the fouling of her sparkkplugs.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account