Magneto Stuck!

HELP! The Magneto on my 1979 PUCH Maxi 2-speed _was_ working fine, but the other day I changed the Transmission fluid and now the magneto doesn't move or anything. When I pedal and engage the clutch, the magneto doesn't move and there is a massive ammount of drag on the bike. So it feels like it is trying to go but can't. I don't want to keep trying because I feel like something is going to break. How do I fix this?

Re: Magneto Stuck!

when you chanded the fluid did you remove the tranny cover if so take it off and try it again i had the same problem the i did this and now it runs like a champ

The only things I removed was the screw to drain the transmission fluid and the plug on top to put in new fluid. Other then that nothing.

humm wierd i have no clue what happened

try taking the mag cover off and spinning it by hand gently

I tried that and it didn't work, the thing didn't budge a bit. Is it possible that I put too much transmission fluid in? Should I let some out? I put in 9.5 ounces, someone told me that this was the right ammount. Is it not?

sounds like your motor is siezed, did you reverse the plugs? maybe one is longer than the other and is hitting something, try removing both and try turning it. I can't see why changing the oil would sieze anything up.

What do you mean by the plugs, the ones in the transmission tank? I couldn't. One is a screw that goes in the side and the other is a plug that just pushes in the top.

Does _anyone_ know what I'm supposed to do?!?!

The magneto on the Puch is attached directly to the end of the engine's crankshaft.

When you are saying that the magneto does not turn, do you mean that the engine (piston and crank) are not turning over?

A little extra transmission fluid should not have done any harm, assuming it is of the correct type.

Some more information would be very helpful. Was the bike working fine before you worked on it?

Well Chris it seems like you've got to start somewhere with this predicament. Side cover or cylinder would be my choices. I'd probably start with the sidecover. Take it off carefully, there are a bunch of rollers that might want to fall out when you pull the cover. look for something stuck between the gears possibly?? Since it was running before you changed the oil I doubt if here is a problem in the piston/cylinder or crankshaft, but anything is possible. I use a piece of newspaper to lay the parts down as I remove them and reinstall in reverse order. Good luck: DT

The bike was turning over fine and everything, I havn't had it running yet because I have been working on it. I know that it was working though because I put carb cleaner in the piston head, and it would put when I engaged the clutch while pedaling. I havn't actually run it yet because I had to clean out the gas tank and I am waiting for a nice sunny day to put it outside and dry out. But it seemed fine, I don't know what went wrong. What other information do you need about it?

Leon Swarmer /

I'd be tempted to pull out the spark plug and try to spin the engine gently.I'm wondering if oil got into the cylinder somehow. It won';t compress,

Leon

No, I tried it without the spark plug and still nothing, I can pedal, but not with the clutch engaged. It's like the whole engine is seized.

If he can pedal the bike, then the transmission is OK, as is the clutch basket. When he pulls in the clutch, that couples the transmission to the engine, which refuses to turn.

Something is jamming either the magneto, the cylinder/piston or the clutch drive parts.

From looking at the parts book, the drain screw in the side of the case could be a problem if it's too long - it looks like it would jam the drive parts of the clutch. I'd pull this screw out and see if things turn over.

If not, then go after the cylinder/piston and magneto.

Well, it is the factory standard screw, so it should be OK. I'll try it though just to be sure. But before I do, should I be trying this if there is no transmission fluid in the engine? Because once I take that screw out, all the transmission fluid will dump. I thought that I shoukldn't try engaging anything unless there is transmission fluid in the engine?

Feel free to do light testing with no tranny fluid in the engine. There is still a coating of fluid on the parts, and this will save you any damage while testing things out.

Just don't take it down the road like that. And if it's really the factory screw, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about with respect to length - that is, if you are sure the right screw is in the hole.

--

MA Chat is online!

irc://irc.freenode.net/mopedarmy

Well, I am going to try checking it. But if it's not that, anymore ideas on what it may be? Should I take off the transmission cover and check all the gears, is it hard to do, like putting it all back together when I'm done?

Well, I was looking at the bike and I'm pretty sure I found the problem. The piston its self some how, like stuck its self in the cylinder head. I don't know how to explain it. When you take off the first part of the head off (the part where the spark plug screws in) It comes off fine. But The second part (where the carb attaches) The piston is stuck. It does not move at all, the only way the magneto even moves is when you move the whole cylinder head foreward and back. How do I get the piston clear and out of the head, and how do I prevent this from ever happening again? Help! Thanks (^___^)

Dont spray carb cleaner in the cylinder head. Its a cleaner not a lubrication. As far as getting the piston out, use a wood block and a hammer. Make sure that the piston rings and sur clips are ok and in place (as best you can) then carefully tap the piston out. The cylinder is a soft metal and scratches will make you lose compression.

good luck

-backwards

OK, I will go try this and let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

YAY! OK, so here's what I did. I took the part that the piston was stuck in and I pulled it as far forward as I could. Then I put something between th cylinder head (the part the piston's stuck in) and the rest of the engine to keep it from going back. Instead of hitting it with a hammer and a piece of wood. I just gently turned the magneto flywheel and the piston pulled out on its own (I think this is a better way of pulling out the piston) Then I washed off the cylinder head with hot soap and water, and rinsed. I also washed off the piston. I did all this without removing the engine from the bike, SKILL! lol, anyway I took a light brush and after the parts dried I brushed 2-stroke oil on the piston and cylinder head on the inside and they just slid together, presto, all finished.

congrats!

Leon Swarmer /

NIce smooth process for puling a stuck piston. Glad it worked

Thanks for all the help guys, I got the engine to finally start! But there are still some problems, I have another post with them in it. Look if you guys wanna help. Thanks again!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account