vespa ciao that stalls

i have a 1977 vespa ciao that is stalling out everytime i apply the rear brake. incidentally, when i put the rear brake on, the tail light dims(as soon as i apply the brake). when i release the brake, the light goes back to full strength...not that this matters, because the bike only runs for about one second after the rear brake has been pulled.

it starts up again, but does the same thing every time i stop at a red light or just in traffic. i was initially steered in the direction of it being a tail light issue, since i didn't see the brake light going on when it should, but i put in a new bulb and it's doing the same thing.

note, the front brake doesn't seem to do this, as far as i've seen. any ideas or theories would be of great help. thanks.

Re: vespa ciao that stalls

Bruce Wilkinson /

Are you sure the filament in the brake light bulb is okay and not burnt out.If it is burnt out the bike will stall when the rear brake is applied. bruce

Yes, i'm sure. That's what i initially thought was the problem, but the old bulb didn't look like one of the fillaments was burned, and i put in a new bulb...does this sound like a wiring issue perhaps, or the ground on the tail light?

Bruce Wilkinson /

If what you 're saying is that it runs good and you can put on the front brake ,it stops, idles fine ,does not stall, then it 's not a carb or clutch problem. If it only gives you trouble when you apply the rear brake , then it sounds like a wiring problem. bruce

i always brake w both brakes so if it were mine i would disconnect the wire going to the rear break handle

when u hit the rear brake it may be trying to pull energy away from the spark pplug, so it may be ur points

There's 2 little wires that are covered by a rubber boot. Unplug those and see if it still happens. Sounds like one of the wires is grounding out and killing the bike.

I have a few Ciao's that have this problem. I just disconnected those - who needs a brakelight anyways =)

"Author: Finn (---.ppp.qrvl.epix.net)

Verified User: blueciao3

Date Posted: 08-14-05 15:19

when u hit the rear brake it may be trying to pull energy away from the spark pplug, so it may be ur points"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure how points would affect a change in electrical output from the coil.

Could you explain a bit?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account