motobecane flywheel

how do i get the flywheel of a motobecane v50 so i can get to the points.

i have been trying and seem to get nowhere!!

help!

thanks

Re: motobecane flywheel

Kev,

In case you're not aware of it already, the nut that holds the flywheel/magneto cover on is left-hand threaded, so you'll turn it as if you were trying to tighten a conventional nut. A socket wrench with a 3/8" square drive post (the most common size) will fit in the nut. I guess you'll need to keep the piston from moving... I've never done it (the only time I had to remove my flywheel, the piston was already seized), but I hear that you can remove your spark plug and thread 6" or so of nylon rope into the cylinder. That should provide a cushioned stop for the piston.

thanks for the helpful hints!!

I appreciate it!

thanks

kev

now can the square nut on the flywheel just be driven out or is there a special tool needed to take it out.

can you just take thesquare drive and drive it out?/

thanks

Yeah, just stick the square drive in there and turn it clockwise. It'll only loosen if you've prevented the piston from moving (w/ the rope trick). Once you've loosened it, you can unscrew it by hand the rest of the way. The flywheel will just pull straight off... it might seem like it's resisting, but that's because it's got some large magnets in it. When you put it back on, make sure you've got it lined up the right way... the inside of the flywheel has a couple of nubs that fit into holes on the face it mounts to. At least on my bike it did.

ok i wil try that tomorrow

thanks for all the help!!!!!

kev

No problem. Glad that I could answer a question instead of asking it for once. Rather than just helping you with your specific problem, though, I should mention that you can find the service manual for your 'ped here. Look for Motobecane Repair Manual.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account