Tomos Ignition problems.

I just replaced the Pedal start A-35 on my sachs with a Kick start A-35. Now I an not getting any spark to the spark plug. When I kick the motor over the lights start to light up and the tachometer jumps indicating that I am getting power to the lights and that there is at least a small amount of power reaching the coil. The motor I did have installed was made in 1996, Is it possible the motor I just installed is an older model (did older a35's have points?) and wont work with the cdi ignition. Or is it possible that the Magneto is not making enough power for the cdi to spark?

Thanks

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Re: Tomos Ignition problems.

In general, CDI systems use a different coil than magneto / battery & coil ignitions. You need the correct coil for either system,

Don Pflueger /

you have a tomos engine in a sachs?

Saabsonettguy . /

Yes I have a tomos A-35 on a sachs, I found out the motor is from a 96' sprint so it should be compatible with the tomos wiring harness and cdi.

Grey

Don Pflueger /

i dont know. the sachs is a german built bike. tomos is slovenian. thats like saying chevy engines will fit right into a honda and everything hooks up the same. i've never seen it done, so i'm not saying it wont work. i just have my reservations.

Saabsonettguy . /

It seems that the black wire from the mag (ignition) has no power, but the yellow wire from the mag is getting power and the lights try to come on when I kick the motor over. Btw, I am using the tomos wiring and everything so thats not the problem, its something in the mag.

Grey

live to ride, Ride to work

Don Pflueger /

if i'm not mistaken, the yellow wire is the only one that has power with the cdi type ignition. i'll have to look at a wire diagram to answer this for sure.

Saabsonettguy . /

The yellow goes to the regulator for the lights and the black goes to the CDI coil. http://www.mopedriders.com/html/manuals/tomos/a35/a35p032.jpg

Grey

yellow is hot, black is ground. check your plug boot and wire. clean any dirt off of the fly-wheel, and make sure the magneto isn't rubbing against the fly-wheel(i have these problems from time to time on my CDI LX)

Don Pflueger /

yep. i didnt look but i think your right.

Don Pflueger /

i think the whole system is grounded thru the frame. there are two charging coils on a cdi powered tomos. a 12 volt coil for lights, and a 3-6 volt coil for ignition. but again, i still havent looked at a wire diagram closely, and i'm gonna test the magnetos i have here to be sure.

For once, the wiring diagram is fairly clear. The black lead runs directly to the CDI coil ("electronic box" in the diagram). It's not a ground, it's a power feed.

You should be able to measure continuity (well, a small resistance) from the black wire to case ground, when the wire is disconnected from the rest of the system. If it measures open, then you have a broken wire / connection or burned out coil. Otherwise, if it measures OK but still isn't producing any voltage, then you've got a short somehwere in the black wire or the coil.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account