Coil

When changing/adjusting the points and replacing the condensor fails, what is next? I've read that the coil needs to be replaced. Which coil?

According to the M56 engine diagram, there's a lighting coil, L.T. coil, and H.T. coil.

Thanks

Re: Coil

Mike Lumbert /

is this a M-56 laura motor? batavus maybe?

coils could fail,but try without replacing unless they are cracked.

need more info than what you gave.

Mike

Actually, I haven't replaced the points/condensor yet. I'm just planning ahead to eliminate potential waiting time.

So I just got some magneto components. I would like to change the condensor first, then try it out. If no spark, then I will change/adjust the points.

My coils/wires/stator plate is in a bit better condition than the assembly I received (see attached pic).

How do I remove the condensor? It seems to be pressed in, and I would like to confirm a procedure before I break out the brute force.

And if anyone has any other suggestions on getting a spark, please enlighten me!

Thank you guys very much. I'd be completely lost without this resource (haha....as opposed to remotely lost!)

1123720982_img_0670.jpg

Jason Luther /

i would start with cleaning and adjusting the points. no spark could be any number of things. start with the most basic. new plug, check the spark plug cap and wire and then work your way through the electrical system. look for bad grounds, loose or broken wires etc before replaceing parts. a great tool to have is a multi-meter electrical tester. they arent expensive and can help in many ways.

-new plug, boot, and wire.

-Replaced all bulbs

-checked and confirmed continuity from connector block to connector block through all switches (kill & light) and wires.

-cleaned points and confirmed proper adjustment

-checked all grounds and reinforced all lead connections with electrical tape (to cover any exposed wire)

Is there anything else I missed?

Don Pflueger /

clean and adjust the points first. thats the most common problem besides spark plug failure.

Jason Luther /

new _correct_ spark plug?

yes...pep boys first suggested the Champion 811 (L82C) as the equivalent for the Champion L85. Then NAPA suggested (and Champion confirmed) the proper equivalent: Champion 874 (RL82C).

AND for good measure, I bought 5 new spark plugs and tried every one. nothing.

Don Pflueger /

an l82c is a colder plug than an l85. and an rl82c is a resistor plug while an l82c is a non resistor.

so if your engine requires an l86c (which is the most popular plug for peds) it may not run with an l82c. and, if your spark plug boot is a resistor type boot, you wont get spark using an rl82c.

"and, if your spark plug boot is a resistor type boot, you wont get spark using an rl82c."

so i need to mismatch the boot and plug...ie resistor plug with non resistor boot?

NAPA told me to buy a box of 7mm spark plug wire terminal (as shown in pic) and use it in conjunction with a regular rubber boot.

Is this right? It doesn't state any info concerning resistor type.

If this is wrong what should I get?

1123801606_img_0675.jpg

Don Pflueger /

"so i need to mismatch the boot and plug…ie resistor plug with non resistor boot?

"

yes. running a resistor boot (usually made by ngk) with a resistor plug cuts the power way down.

i dont know what that wire is like. it may work just fine.

Jason Luther /

resistor boots are easy to check with a multi-meter. a non resistor boot will have very little resistance (a couple ohms) while the resistor boot will have something like 5000-7000 ohms.

thanks guys!

I'll check the resistance at work tomorrow. Hopefully I'm just using the wrong wire terminals...easy fix.

R

Is the only difference between the rl82c and the l82c is the resistor factor?

So my boot was a resistor type. I didn't get a spark with the rl82c. I also have the l82c, but I still didn't get spark. If continuity is good through the boot & wire, can I rule out those components?

I'm trying to eliminate all the variables.....I'm starting to run out.

Thanks

Don Pflueger /

yes if there is continuity thru the boot and wire they should be good.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account