Top or bottom end?!

Jeremy Schaefer /

i have a 1980 puch maxi with like 7000 miles... it runs GREAT at lower RPM (like 15-20 mph) but any faster and it sounds as if it wants to come unglued!!! It has excellent compresion and really runs GREAT...except for the mentioned...Any ideas?! THANKS--Jeremy

Re: Top or bottom end?!

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Gap a new plug correctly and install. Please report back. Jim.

Single speed, eh? Could be just the way it is.

Check for loose parts, covers, bolts etc. Sometimes a cover or shield can get loose and make a racket at certain speeds.

Or it could be that you're not getting enough fuel, and the motor is truly making noise at speed. In that case, check the air filter and carb, and make sure there are no restrictions.

Does it have power or go flat above 20mph?

Jeremy Schaefer /

it is a single speed...but im POSITIVE its coming from the engine...and its LOUD!!! There are No restrictions and it has good compression and plenty of power up to full speed (like 25-27 mph). Could it be a rod bearing?!?

i have the same problem with my 76 newport and it ened up ovaling the wrist pine hole in the piston and blowing the motor(snapped the comm rod right under piston skirt)

Jeremy Schaefer /

thats what i was scared of...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account