Tomos won't shift into 2nd gear

Bought this 1990 A3 50 Bullet TT (2 speed auto) last year.1200 original miles. Ran perfect in all respects. This spring it wouldn't start. Took off carb assy, and cleaned dirty bowl. Took out jet, it was plugged solid. Opened it it, cleaned it out w/carb cleaner. Also needle, seat. Installed new plug. Now ped starts and runs, but two things. 1st, ped most of time won't shift into 2nd, sometimes it will. 2nd, top end when it does go into 2nd, top speed is @ 22mph. Ped was doin much better last year. Any thoughts where to start lookin? Much thanks for your help...

Re: Tomos won't shift into 2nd gear

sounds like it's mechanically ok.. ran fine before. It's common for a bike in storage to develop fuel delivery related problems..

What kind of tranny fluid is in there? Got a leak?

There's a A3 manual HERE that says ..

Valvomatic Tye A suffix A .. SAE 10w30 .. 220cc's

Sounds like you have too much tranny fluid.

or not enough.

Alan

I looked at the link, but it doesn't show how to check trans fluid level. I see the drain plug on the bottom of engine, but where do you check level?. Thanks for all your help.

no dip stick? May as well drain the oil.. see how much was in there so you have some idea if oil level is the problem... see what the oil looks like..

And then add 220 ccs .. (7.5 ounces US .. just under a cup.)

Thanks joew....I'll do that tommorrow. Thanks for your help...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account