Throttle cable busted?

I am very poor at this moment in my life so, like the fool I am and continue to be, I have been trying to fix up my 78 Puch which I recently acquired. It did run when I first put gas in it today but it wasnt running great(yes I know it's a 78). So I decided to buy a new plug and try to clean the carburator. I believe I have a 78 Maxi Sport......well I am new to car or moped...auto repair of any sort and I resorted to following some instructions from mopedonline.com as to how to go about cleaning the carb. My friend said it has problems with the carb and needs to be cleaned regularly, so I thought it a good idea to do it. So here is where my problem comes in.....as I was taking apart and eventually putting back together, I must have tugged too hard on the top piece of the carburator and pulled out the throttle wire casing (the black rubber tubing around the wires..in case my terms are not correct) at the joint where the wire meets the curved carb tube coming off of the top of the carb casing. I took everything apart and put together again but still nothing....the casing was moving with the wire so that the wire itself did not make its full range of motion inside the carburator. I then looked beneath the throttle handle where the wire attaches there and I saw the screw that held in that end was moving too.....it seemed as though a piece of plastic was missing that held it in place....I'm sorry to be so lengthy with this.....just not sure if I'm making sense. Please if anyone can give me some advice before I have to take it in to a shop I would appreciate it.....is it an easy fix perhaps? Thanks and again sorry for the length (as I keep going).

Re: Throttle cable busted?

Jason Luther /

it sounds like the cable is rusted inside the sheathing. try spraying some wd40 inside the sheathing and breaking it free. if not, new cable are only like $15. or if you are handy you can turn a $.99 walmart cable into a trottle cable. but i bet if you take the cable off of the bike completely and hang it so you can dribble wd40 down the entire length, youll be gold

hehe I think I just need to find out how it's supposed to be set up. I'm too unfamiliar with it. Thx for the suggestion though, I really appreicate it.

Jason Luther /

well it goes like this...

at the carb the cable sheath (black casing) gets nestled inside the end of the elbow coming out of the carb. then the bare cable goes through the elbow, through the spring and to the slide. it sound like you got that part okay

at the grip the sheath again rests inside a little cup on the underside of the throttle assembly and the bare cable end winds through the assembly onto the actual grip. where it rides in a little slot on the grip itself and then the barrel end of the cable fits into the hole on the grip. so therefor the only thing holding the grip onto he handle bars is the tension of the throttle cable. its easier to put the throttle assembly together first and _then_ hook it up at the carb. make any sense?

yes very much so......I did not hook it up correctly again then.....I did not place the end of the bare wire through the spring and onto the slide. I'm sorry for wasting your time. WOOT for the ignant! However thanks alot for spending the time to explain this to me.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account