question for a mechanic(not just anyones guess)

Danny Emerson /

my tomos a3 bullet runs like a champ til it runs lets say 3 or 4 miles at full tilt. she then starts to cut out then dies and wont start again and stay running til she cools off. she will start every now and then after that but will never run more than a couple seconds. now fist ur probly gonna tell me that its not meant to run like that that long, but every other moped ive had run run for hours and hours at full throttle. is this brand diff, are they not meant to? 2. i know the points arent sticking cause ive checked for spark through out all of this and shes still got spark. so im thinking that the reed valves are sticking when she gets hot, i consider this because ive had it back fire through the carb. or....the gas air mix will change depending on engine temp, i currently dont have silencer attached to carb so im think it might be getting to much air for the higher engine temp, i consider this because ive choked it with my finger while riding and it helps a great deal. so what do you think, are these 2 separate problems or are they one in the same. someone please help.

Re: question for a mechanic(not just anyones guess

Danny Emerson /

my tomos a3 bullet runs like a champ til it runs lets say 3 or 4 miles at full tilt. she then starts to cut out then dies and wont start again and stay running til she cools off. she will start every now and then after that but will never run more than a couple seconds. now fist ur probly gonna tell me that its not meant to run like that that long, but every other moped ive had run run for hours and hours at full throttle. is this brand diff, are they not meant to? 2. i know the points arent sticking cause ive checked for spark through out all of this and shes still got spark. so im thinking that the reed valves are sticking when she gets hot, i consider this because ive had it back fire through the carb. or….the gas air mix will change depending on engine temp, i currently dont have silencer attached to carb so im think it might be getting to much air for the higher engine temp, i consider this because ive choked it with my finger while riding and it helps a great deal. so what do you think, are these 2 separate problems or are they one in the same. someone please help.

Don Pflueger /

clean your gas cap vent.

could be the vent, or crap in the carb bowl that slowly clogs the jet then after sitting sinks again. if the motor turns and feels free than I doubt it is too hot, check fuel line filter for clog

with no air-box you are undoubtably running lean and simply overheating. that air-box holds a measured volume of "still air" which is what a 2-stroke needs to function properly. by removing it you are leaning out your fuel air mix therefore making the bike faster but exceeding the engines air cooling ability. the excess heat is produced by a lack of lubrication. there is more friction between the rings and the cylinder walls. by choking it a little with your finger you are temporarily richening the mixture temporarily providing more lubrication, so it runs a little better. so, put you air box back on, drill some holes in it on the backside as not to cause a draft in it and upjet your carb to match your air intake(do some plug chops)and get out and ride. if this doesn't work then it's your condenser. when they start going your bike will run for a while untill the capacitor heats up and then it will die.

jay

Danny Emerson /

thanx all for your input ill try the preceeding suggestions

p.s. what would i do w/o you donp

Don Pflueger /

sit on the side of the road. lol

loosen your gas cap as it dies. if it does not come back to life, then look at everything else that the others have posted. do the simple things first. and, make sure you install an airbox and filter.

Danny Emerson /

well ive tryed everything but the condenser with no luck. on the bright side i have found a way to check the condenser w/o removing it. and if thats not it i guess ill have to look at the possibillity of a bad reed valve.

My problem is very similar, My moby runs like a champ and keeps on running. but when i stop I have to wait an hour before the thing will start again ,or take the plug out wet the end with a little gas it will fire straight away and im off.

Seems to be not getting enough gas to the plug while it is sitting hot.

Is your sparkplug rated too hot? You might try a cooler plug... just a thought.

The residual heat in the engine might be boiling the gas out of the carb when it is sitting with the engine hot.

my thoughts, sorry im not a professional, but i've been working with peds for about 7 months doing repairs to my friends and stuff. My friend had an 99 TTLX and had the same problem. We put a k&n filter/breather on there, and got a airbox and cut out to make the small k&n fit. It ran 150% better with taht also. But after about 4 months it happened again. so i took it apart to find out that the oil pump was pumping some airbubbles due to a pinhole in the line, so the gas wasn't "Fully" mixing correctly. if yours is premix, try running it a little rich, say 40:1 for a few miles. Let me know if this works.

Sean

I have never worked on a Tomos and don't know any of their mechanics. I am no guessing when I say if it has a Condenser check that. Some condensers semi fail and work till they get hot and then they preform erradically, this problem was seen on my Peugeot 103. Your Condenser might be fine but Overheating may be causing this condenser situation to come about, make shure your engine is not burning to hot. An Overheated engine will cause condenser failure and erratic running and will also explain that it needs to cool before it workes again. If you bike has no condenser and has electronic ignition I can't help you my experience is with classic mopeds, to find out if this is your problem try driving as normal when this happens spray some electrical cleaner, brake cleaner or other cooling type fluid on the condenser to cool it down then try to start, if it preforms better it is a heat problem.

check ur fule pecock and see if there is a pice off dirt in it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account