Sachs exhaust mount, simple question.

hi !

anyone here can tell me how their sachs exhaust mount is made?

i'm talking about the cylinder connection.

Mine is a kind of small tubular pipe coming out of the engine, but this tubular thing is free to move!

it's not removable, but it can move from left to righ, up and down. Just like a joystick (sorry for the poor comparison)

anyone can tell me if that part is usually welded or anything?

If so, is it re-weldable? i dont think that the material the cylinder is made with is weldable...

any info?

thanks

g.b.

Re: Sachs exhaust mount, simple question.

it's been broken, that tubular pipe is part of the one-piece cylinder.

From what I can tell, the head/cylinder is cast in aluminum, and then the actual piston bore and the exhaust bung are made of steel, and pressed in. I think it's supposed to be an interference fit- the exhaust is put thru a lot of stress, so it starts to dent and bend, causing it to move more. It seems like you could yank it out, but I've never been able to.

The ideal thing would be to pull the old one out, bore the hole to make sure it's true and have another pipe turned to fit. Then whatever method of interference fit you prefer, wether it's freezing the pipe to shrink it, heating the head, or a huge press. That's a lot of machine shop work.

It's really not easy to weld aluminum to steel, I'm sure there is someone out there who can, or claims to be able to.

I've been thinking of cleaning up the area and using a metal epoxy in the crack to stabilize it.

Some people use an extra bracket to hold the pipe steady, and that may help too.

humm, i'll have to check...

that causes me an exhaust leak which annoy me a lot, and which, i think, cause me a loss of power

g.b.

John Joedicke /

Could it be threaded to a common pipe size? They are tapered threads and would tighten up upon installation, just a thought as I have never seen a Sachs header.

no, it doesnt, but thanks for your time!

i'll remove my head/cylinder and probably post a pic

g.b.

John Joedicke /

No you could tap it not is it threaded. See you at the meeting tomorrow?

meeting tomorrow, what's that?

where is it?

g.b.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account