2003 Kinetic TFR

Have put on about 100 miles. Ran like a top. Now, it takes forever for it to start and when it does I have to keep it at full throttle, but will eventually die. I looked at the sparkplug and it looked dirty but not clogged. I've been running with a high oil to gas ratio(like the manual said), and thought this might have caused the fuel line/filter to have clogged prematurely. Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

Re: 2003 Kinetic TFR

this briefly happened to me while breaking my tfr-usa in at around 80 miles, although my problem was due to running completely out of gas (dope). the sparkplug that cosmotor had put in it was fine. in fact, they recommend not to change it before 1000 miles (the manual says to change it at 300 miles). i'll probably switch one out at 500. good luck and keep us posted.

Pat Mycrotch /

So it does sound like a clogged fuel line(it has a full tank)?

certainly check your fuel line and be sure that you see gas running through the petcock. for my first 150 miles, i found my tfr to run more smoothly on reserve, but now it's back to running okay while at the "on" position. as soon as you get this thing running, it should run flawlessly for a long while.

How much oil are you mixing with 1 gallon of gas?

It is a little confusing, One place in the manual it recommends 4% (5.12 ozs) another place 3% (4 ozs) and the gas cap has 2% stamped on it (2.5 ozs).

So you should not be using no more than 5 ozs of 2 stroke oil per gallon, for the first 300 miles .

The Kinetic gas tank does not hold a gallon of gas. It only holds .66 of a gallon so if you are not mixing in a separate gallon container and mixing the oil in the tank you may be adding too much oil which would cause your spark plug to foul.

If you mix in the tank you should only put in about 3.5 ozs of 2 stroke oil to a tankful of gas during the first 300 miles.

After the first 300 miles if you mix in the gas tank you should add about 2 ozs (1.7 ozs) of 2 stroke for a 2% mix or 2.5 ozs for a 3% mix

Zippy -

Do you know off-hand if that 0.66 gallons includes the reserve or not?

Thanks,

Dave

Pat Mycrotch /

I mix it in a separate, 2-gallon gas container, as a non-foolish person should. I use between 3-4% due to conflicting info you mentioned so I should be good(as I haven't hit 100 miles, yet).

It probably is a fuel block of some kind. I just wanted to check with everyone because I left it over on South Bass Island. I'm going back there in two weeks but if I don't have the right parts when I get over there, it won't get fixed.

Oh well, another trip to Handybikes. I don't know what I would do if those guys weren't in town. Thanks for the input!

i have to ask what the moped has been doing for 2 years since you have less than 100 miles on it. have you been storing it?

my kinetic was stored for a few years before it reached 100 miles and now there is rust in the gas tank, among other problems. that sort of thing will clog your fule filter, carb, etc.

all of the kinetic tfr's that have been going out since 2003 are, in fact, 2003 models. i bought one a month ago and it was a new 2003 with .5 miles on it. i don't know of anybody who has a 2004 or even a 2005 model in the states. cosmotor and other importers only have the 2003. but, it's likely that a fuel line would clog if left to rust and the elements.

Pat Mycrotch /

Thanks, but yeah. I bought it about 3 months ago from Cosmo. Can't say how long they had it, but once I got it I was riding it about every other weekend. Alright, I'm bringing up a new fuel filter, lines and sparkplug. Anything else I should bring?

you should be good with those supplies. it sounds like the problem may have occured more recently. sucks to have a ped down. hope you get her going.

i didn't know that about the new kinetics.

one thing that was strange is than even though my kinetic had been ridden so little, the ignition switch had managed to come ungrounded and almost completely disconnected. i found both of the screws that should hold the wiring tight inside the headlight unit. i also found a 2nd white wire that is a mystery to me.

good-luck with your ped, hope you have an easier time figuring out what is wrong than i am!!

jill, according to my wiring diagram for the kinetic tfr, there are 2 different white wires. one connects the ignition switch to the c.d.i. unit and the other runs from the c.d.i. unit to the ignition coil of the magneto.

czar, i was looking at that diagram too. but the white wire i found was not comming from the ignition as it appeared in the diagram. it was with the black(ground) wire that had come off. i ended up wiring both white wires together and it seems to be ok.

thanks for your reply!

glad it worked out for you. that's the beauty of these machines. ride on.

Question for Pat

Do you have a locking gas cap or standard gas cap?

Re: Question for Pat

Pat Mycrotch /

That standard one, although I had immediately wished I bought a locking one, once I saw how PAP the the standard one was. Why?

i am curious about the gas cap as well... i just recently acquired a TFR and am in the process of trying to get it up and running. one of the first things that i looked at was the fuel tank. now there was a locking cap on it but i was able to pull it out like a cork... in the locked position. lucky enough for me as the little scoot didnt come with any keys...

Allen Murphy /

The other wire goes to the kill switch on the handlebars!

Al Murphy

i know, but the secondary kill swich works so it cant be

The reason for my question was, Cosmotors was having some problems with Kinetics that had locking gas caps. There weren't venting properly and causing a vaopr lock condition on some bikes.

how does a locking gas cap not vent right? should the cap vent at all? even the regular gas cap that comes with the ped doesn't vent. it's a tight fit either way.

It does vent. There's a tiny hole in the bottom that is enough to relieve low pressure that builds up when you draw gas from the tank.

The standard Kinetic gas cap has a tiny hole in the center of the cap, I don't think the locking gas cap does and that was part of the problem. Some moped gas caps allow a little air flow around the rim of the cap.

If a tank doesn't have inward air flow, the pumping of the piston can create a vaccum in the gas tank. If this happens you vapor lock and have no fuel flow.

i see. and i was about to get a locking gas cap, but certainly don't want vapor lock. does anyone have an alternative suggestion on a locking gas cap that has worked for them? thanks. a dios.

Pat Mycrotch /

I talked to a guy at HandyBikes and he said this was caused by a defective carb jet. He said it just got "broke-in" which is why it up and decided to not work.

Does this sound right? Anyone know what kind of jet I need to get? Where I can get it?

YES THEY DO VENT MY FRIEND.

COSMO

Locking gas cap and venting

Allen Murphy /

Zippy--had that problem on the cap with my TFR--cut a 1/8' wide slot down the side, so the air could get to the tank, past the sealing ribs on the rubber sleve.

No more problem!

Al Murphy

Re: Locking gas cap and venting

Colin Summers /

i had a problem when i first had my tfr make sure the air box is on mine came loose and it didnt like start and i had to keep the throttle on it to keep it from stalling

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account