Tomos LX (2004) Headlight out... again Help?

Blayne Scott /

Hi all,

I've recently had my Black Tomos (Toptank, 2004) LX model bike in for repair at Mr. Moped in Oakville Ontario after some drunks kicked the crap out of it one Friday night downtown.

The bike's headlight went out shortly after the incident and was working again after I got the bike back from repair/Bi-turbo upgrade.

Yesterday while riding on a flat out streach, the headlight just went out. Can't do highbeams, or anybeams for that matter.

I gave Rose at Mr. Moped a call, but other than "checking the wires connections" (all are in solid from what I can tell) - there's little I can do. According to her, no one insures the headlamp bulbs. What the hell?

Does anyone know what I can do to get some sort of headlight setup working agian?

I've been pulled over by the cops three times back when the light was out (before it was "repaired") - and I _really_ don't want to get pulled over again for lack of headlights.

Can I change the bulb on the moped myself, or is the whole unit proprietary? If so, can the housing be replaced at some local Motorcycle shop with a Halogen or Xenon bulb that doesn't die?

Thanks a million!

-Blayne

Re: Tomos LX (2004) Headlight out... again Help?

John Joedicke /

Check your e-mail

I just replaced my 2004 TTLX headlight with an old round assembely from a Puch 6v, and then changed the bulb to a 12v, now it runs great, same wire hook up too for the most part. And if you just want to get it working, the bulb is easy to change with a phililps screwdriver and a few minutes.

What you have to do is start using the 35/35 watt bulbs.. they have thicker filaments.

I had that problem for months.. going through 5 bulbs before figuring it out. It is not that hard to replace the bulbs.. all you need is a philips screwdriver and an allen wrench set.

To get the bulb changed:

1. Remove the acorn nuts (10mm I think) & 2 screws that hold the front fairing on... Be carfull removing the fairing.

2. use an allen wrench or screwdriver to loosen the headlight housing.. when removing housing remember to disconect the wiring, remember where they go.

3. on the bottom of the housing there is 2 screws that hold the housing together. be carefull while opening, there is also the mounting screws that go into slots inside the housing.

4. turn the bulb "recepticle" counterclockwise (I think) untill it is free of the lens. Remove the old bulb by pushing in and turning.

5. replace bulb in the same mannor as in #4.. clean bulb with a clean cloth (NO FINGERPRINTS) reassemble by reversing the steps.

Long winded but pretty easy.

Alan

Blayne Scott /

Thanks for the info everyone. I replaced the bulb today with a 3 26-2040-2, 35 watt/12volt bulb from Canadian Tire. I brought a screw driver and small wrench in my bikes trunk to the store - then sat outside in the parking lot disassembling / reassembling my light fixture, heh.

Thanks for the advice Alan - do you know the Canadian tire bulb # of these 35 Watt/35 Volt bulbs? I presume they'll last longer in my Bi-turboed, heavily vibrating Tomos 2004 LX right?

Regards,

-Blayne

Yes... It should last longer than the stock bulbs. My ped also vibrates real bad.. lol

Alan

John Joedicke /

Your welcome Blaine , it was a pleasure giving you the Number/bulb information.....

On the topic, has anyone had luck with a high output bulb? I bought a 55 watt/12v one the other day and my electrical system could not power it... I need a brighter bulb!

John Joedicke /

Tried one of those and it caused too much heat for the Tomos housing. Really didn't last as long as I figured it should. Again the vibration killed it on a kitted ped.

I have the same problem with my low beams, can any one tell me the canadian tire # for the 35/35 bulb?

It would help me out big time. thanks.

John Joedicke /

CTC# 26-2040-2 (35/35)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account