Snark speed problem

Kevin O'Connor /

Last winter I purchased a 1978 bianchi snark that has a franco morini M01 on it. Ever since then I have been getting it ready for when I get my driving license and I will be able to register it to ride it on the road. It starts great and has no trouble running other than I cannot get any speed out of it. When I got it, the piston was in bad shape so I bought a new piston and rings. After that it ran a lot better and when I did a compression check it measured 50 instead of the 20 that it did when I first bought it. Well now my problem is I cant get any speed out of it. I am stumped for I have gone over the whole thing. I rebuilt the carb and cleaned it. I checked the exhaust by blowing through it and had no trouble getting air through it. I made sure the exhaust port was clean which it was. I adjusted the timing and cleaned the points. I drilled holes in the air box for more air flow, and upjetted to at 48 compared to the stock 45. With doing all of that it still only tops out at 20 going down hill. I was thinking maybe my compression still isn't good enough, is 50 good enough? I can't think of anything that I havent gone over that could be causing it to go so slow. Or are franco mornini's known to be this slow? Any suggestions on what else I could do would be great.

1122769224_snark6_605.jpg

Re: Snark speed problem

You say when you check the compression it has 50 psi?

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Kevin O'Connor /

yea it was 20psi before I rebuilt it and 50psi afterwards

i have a snark and thats all i does 2 hate break it 2 u if u find an owners manual (i have one) it says thats its tops speed is 20, 25 with a different front sprocket sizing...........

~kevin~

See Ya Moped Army /

You should have at least 120 psi compression on that motor.

check your head and cylinder gaskets. make sure your spark plug is in tight (but dont go crazy on it, strip the threads and your screwed) make sure your head nuts are on tight (to spec ft/lbs, dont strip those either). i dont know specifically about your bike (i just bought one and havent torn it appart yet) but check and make sure your cylinder posts are screwed in to the case tightly. they may be loose and allowing for a leak.

basically make sure all your gaskets are good and all your nuts and bolts are tight (but not too tight).

Jason Luther /

i'd say your gauge isnt working right

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account