Sachs 2nd gear problem

Two problems:

My landlord changed the gas in my portable container to straight gas without my knowledge and I soft seized, by some miracle it works fine now except that it's kind of sluggish to gain speed. What's a quick fix for soft seizures?

Second problem is with my Sachs 505d tranny, I thought the ATF level was kind of low so I kind of overfilled it by a large margin. When I tried to ride it it was very sluggish and 2nd gear refused to kick in, it maxed out at 20mph. I dumped all the excess fluid until it was at the previous level and there was _some_ improvement but 2nd gear still refuses to engage fully and it now takes almost a minute to achieve 25mph. Normally it stops at around 30, what can I do to get the 2nd gear to engage faster and smoother? I haven't done anything to it but overfill it.

Re: Sachs 2nd gear problem

Ja'Far Rogers /

bump

Hmmmmmmmm.....2nd gear should engage, unless the engine rpms are not coming up. Have you checked for a carbonned exhaust? don-ohio

Ja'Far Rogers /

exhaust was recently cleaned out 2 weeks ago.

i've heard that excess tranny fluid can enter the transfer ports and the piston, if that's true would i cause a performance decrease?

No, the tranny is separate from the engine crankcase. Actually if you overfilled it, the fluid should just spill out the top. STILL..........the tranny won't shift correctly unless the fluid level is close to ideal. don-ohio

Ja'Far Rogers /

ok, I'll dump ALL the fluid out then give it say 100ml of fluid then report back to you

You need to fill it up with Type F tranny fluid until it pours out of the fill hole on the side when the bike is upright.

The reasone it is not kicking into second gear is because there is no second gear on a Sachs 505 motor. There is sometimes an illusion of a secong gear when the clutch fully engages and you take off hard, but there is only one speed. The excess tranny fluid could be causing the clutch to not fully engage.

_My landlord changed the gas in my portable container to straight gas_

I suggest you change the gas in his car to premix, and see how he likes that.

sachs 505 are 1 speed

g.b.

Ja'Far Rogers /

ok i dumped most of the fluid out but it's still having a hard time going past 20mph, it does take less time to achieve 25mph and runs a little better but I still don't feel that surge at 20mph anymore it feels like the bike is settling in as I ride at 20mph.

if you seized your engine, you will need to take the cylinder off and see if you ruined anything.

You could also use a comperssion tester to see what you have, just as an indicator.

if the engine isn't getting up to a hight enough RPM your not going to get that nice kick you used to.

Ja'Far Rogers /

no the soft seize was completely cured , it made a swish swish sound for a while but performance wasn't affected that much until I overfilled the tranny. the soft seize caused a slight decrease in take off but the bike went up to 27mph in only 6 - 8 seconds. maybe it had to do with the way I filled it?

I didn't have a curved funnel so I tipped the bike over on its right side and dumped a whole bunch into the crankcase, when I felt the bike running like **** I pulled over and unscrewed the filler plug and red ATF came pumping out and wouldn't stop for a good minute or two. After I dumped the stuff out it got up to 20mph real fast but I could feel that it wasn't shifting properly. maybe I should run it without any ATF for a fun minutes then add some before it overheats?

HEY!

i think i know the problem!

do not run the engine anymore if that's the case!

what hole did you use to fill the engine?

did you unscrew the long bolt at the top of the engine?

if that's the case, you'll have to open the engine and replace a couple of things.

you are supposed to fill the engine by the SIDE plug/screw

tell me if that's the case!

g.b.

Ja'Far Rogers /

no that's not the case, I know about the do not touch screw on top of the case although I must admit the first time I looked at the 505 I thought that's where the hole was. the filler plug I unscrewed is the white plastic one on the side of the case.

Ja'Far Rogers /

ok, I dumped all the old ATF out and filled up with 225ml of ATF in the tranny. so far it's a no go, I installed a speed sprocket in the rear wheel and now it goes 25mph instead of 20mph but I still don't feel that surge as it shifts. It used to go 30mph with the other sprocket for power and not speed and now I'm struggling to reach 25 with a sprocket that should take me to 35...

I don't understand what could have made the 2nd gear not want to engage just because I overfilled with ATF. I didn't touch anything or damage any transmission parts I just overfilled it and now 2nd gear won't engage. Any ideas?

there is no 2nd gear in a sachs 505 engine!

gb.

I have a 505/1D and will also confirm that there is no 2nd gear. I've been told that with these engines, feeling a "shift" is an illusion created by worn clutch plates. Perhaps the excess fluid caused them permanent damage?

The clutch plates eventually have to be replaced at some point. When mine came to me, the three cluch plates were shattered and lying in 20 pieces in the clutch chamber. I'm guessing your ped is over 20 yrs old so it's probably about due. You can get replacement plates from Handybikes(see links) for not much money.

Just a few things to check, especially after a loss of speed, the engine "soft seizing" and then running it again without putting oil in it.

Are your rings any good?

Are there gouges in your cylinder wall?

Are your clutch plates glazed?

Is the weight bracelet in the clutch still together?

to answer these questions, you will have to at least look up in the exhaust port of the engine, to see if there is aluminum smeared on your piston, and take the clutch cover off and take the clutch apart.

It's a lot harder than just making a swish swish sound and declaring it good.

With a speed sprocket (smaller rear) you should go a little more than 30, but that's about it.

hey pat, what speed do you get out of your stock 505-1d?

thanks

g.b.

Just a little shy of 30 mph. My TFR definitely

has a higher top speed, but it has 1/2 the torque

and acceleration as the 505/1D. I have yet to

find a hill this thing couldn't climb.

Ja'Far Rogers /

this piston is fine, after it seized I pedalled it home and dumped oil into it and everything went smoothly until I overfilled the ATF. the worn clutch plate idea sounds likely but I'm not at all familiar with the Sachs 505 engine only with a Honda and Puch . Can one of you more familiar with the Sachs consult the attached manual and read page 39 & 42? Where should I start to remove the clutch cover and plate?

Ja'Far Rogers /

the manual

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account