Help- Model 50v Flooding

I just bought a Motobecane 1977 model 50v last night and was trying to get it running. First I wasn't getting any spark or power because the switch for the engine shut off is reversed?!?! I have to hold it all the way up for it to fire. Thats not a huge problem, but any advice would help.

The main problem is I think the carburetor is flooding out or somehow way too much gas is going in the motor. I get spark but it wont fire up. When I pull the plug out it is covered in gas.

When the bike is just sitting, I can see fuel leak into the carburetor. I think it is coming through the jet. It doesnt come out the vent tube at all. I think it won't start because it is just getting too much gas. I have a strong spark, and the motor makes a good suction at the intake tube.

I took the carb apart and blew out every passage inspected the float/needle and seat, put it all back together and ended up with the same thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. By the way, the carb is a gurtner ar2-12

-Jeremy

Re: Help- Model 50v Flooding

Maybe the float in your carb was upside-down when you got the bike, and you put it back together that way? The longer, pointier end of the needle that goes through the float should be pointing up.

The needle is pointing up. I made sure of that while I was putting it back together. Thanks.

-Jeremy

the float needle, or float needle valve is probably at fault.

Is the point still perfectly shaped? If not you can use a file to make it symetrical again.

Do you still have the paper gasket on the bowl cover (figure eight shaped), and the black O-ring for the bowl cover? those are both needed.

I found out the needle does have a few nicks in it upon closer inspection. It does have the paper gasket and the o-ring.

Is 21.00 the best price for a new float? MopedJunkyard is the only site i know of for parts. Any other sources?

-Jeremy

$21 seems like alot to me. and it is not new I'll bet

I have a few, but I could not say for sure if they are still straight and good.

try to fix yours up first, if that does not work then maybe I can help.

you could have a fine float, and a bad cap where the seal is made.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

dan, if you fall through with the new float, i think that 1977 has a nos float. if not i know they have a few decent used floats. as far as your switch goes, dan showed me this little trick where you disconnect the wire that comes out of the high coil and goes to the switch. this effectivly removes the switch from the equation. you will know what wire to disconnect when you look at it. it is the one that has a little white connector about 2 inches away from yoru high coil.

I bought one of those Gartner floats from MopedJunkyard. It is brand new, and the float is made of plastic - not metal.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account